Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-31-2019, 08:37 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
The only reason I got interested in French singers is because of Alizee…

There are plenty of artists out there putting out music I don't care for at all. I would much rather watch Alizee petting Jon Snow than watching their videos.
Yeah, that kind of puts my view of the whole thing in a nutshell…

I’m not a “Francophile” and the only reason I had any interest in French music was Alizée only...

Purely Alizée...

The French “music scene” to me is an “utter irrelevance”. It tends to be just “self involved”, “self introspective”, “self indulgent” boring “Frankish twaddle” that makes no impact on the overall world music scene at all, really…

I mean, good grief, not even the French seem to like it…

“France drops legal quota on French radio songs as DJs forced to play 'boring old ballads'”

“Responding to increasing pressure from stations opposed to the quota, MPs voted on Wednesday to reduce quota from 40 to 35 per cent”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...d-ballads.html

An interesting article…

Now, overall, if you look at Alizée’s music career from this kind of “perspective”, most especially in her “MF/LB” Lolli era, “problems”, “glitches” and “strategic mistakes” in her overall “career planning” become very evident.

The lyrics of most of her songs at that period were very very “French”, full of “double entendre” and very subtle, sly, French “wordplay”, that fitted the “projected image” and “genre perfectly”.

All fine and wonderful if you were French, or were part of that rather tiny “sphere of influence/interest”…

However, if you were not French, then, you were kind of, stuck, for the lyrics of Alizée’s songs, translated into other languages, especially English, were meaningless, incomprehensible, unintelligible garbage, due to all this self-indulgent “frenchness”, and their love of “wordplay’…

They just translated soooo badly, and what is worse, there was no real attempt to redress this mistake, or actually release any kind of material that would be palatable for a “global”, ok, “English speaking”, audience...

MF just appeared to kind of “shrug”, which I will never ever forgive her for…

With the right material, Alizée, could have very easily had “global” audiences “at her feet”, “worshiping” her, not just a relatively small “franco-european” one…

It would have been so easy, really, and I can not figure out if it was a lack of “tactical/strategic planning”, lack of “foresight”, “envy”, or basically just “stupidity” on the part of Mylène, that this global "penetration" and "saturation" did not happen…

Or, maybe Mylène just kept Alizée as the “one shot”, “short duration”, “one trick pony” with a “short shelf life” that she had meant her to be, all along…

Regardless, it does not matter if Mylène either “fumbled” or “punted”, with regard to her projected “plays” for Alizée’s future. The result was the same.

An artiste who should have, and could have, easily, been a global star, is now a “dancer/dance instructor” in Corsica…

My totally utterly selfish self knows which one I would rather have seen…

And I apologize unreservedly for my selfishness…

Thanks for nothing Mylène…

Please learn from this…
Old 10-31-2019, 11:25 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post

The lyrics of most of her songs at that period were very very “French”, full of “double entendre” and very subtle, sly, French “wordplay”, that fitted the “projected image” and “genre perfectly”.

All fine and wonderful if you were French, or were part of that rather tiny “sphere of influence/interest”…

However, if you were not French, then, you were kind of, stuck, for the lyrics of Alizée’s songs, translated into other languages, especially English, were meaningless, incomprehensible, unintelligible garbage, due to all this self-indulgent “frenchness”, and their love of “wordplay’…

They just translated soooo badly, and what is worse, there was no real attempt to redress this mistake, or actually release any kind of material that would be palatable for a “global”, ok, “English speaking”, audience...
Sometimes I wonder if I (we?) tend to overrate Alizée and if she was just a one hit wonder...
I know this may sound as blasfemy and I've said before that I don't even put Alizée in my classifications because she would always be the best for me, but... I don't know, sometimes I feel as though she was very lucky with ML and then everything came because of her beauty and the popularity from the first album. As I said before in another thread, I consider MCE a masterpiece: it was the very first album that I have ever bought (this means a lot to me, because nowadays physical copies are mere collectionism, especially for the youngest generations). But at the same time MCE gives me the impression of a niche product: extremely high quality but no one cares about it, just a lot of advertising. Why did it gain success? I don't know if it was because of the popularity of the first album or people just like it. Obviously it was successful, but Gourmandises sold over 4 million copies, MCE I think less than 500.000 (250.000+ only in France...). There is an abyss between them.
When I think about francophone singers, there is only one name that comes to my mind: Stromae. He is one of most complete artists out there: musician, singer, song writer, dancer... Everything. And his songs are full of puns that only French-speaking people can understand, like Mylene's lyrics. But his fame is consistent and has a lot to offer to other people that don't speak French.
Now I don't know how the Alizée phenomenon was perceived back then because I was just a kid, but at the beginning I knew Alizée only because of ML, never heard of JEAM for 12 years. Then I found out that 90% of people liked her for her physical appearance: only ML and JEAM and maybe the sense of something new. But you don't see her while you are listening to a CD; first of all she was a singer: ML didn't need a dance to be explosive. I'm not sure about JEAM...
I repeat, I love her, she will always be the best to me, but I'm afraid that I'm too conditioned by all this situation and that I don't want to admit her real impact on the music world.

Edit:

To be honest I don't know if this is a theory or I just needed to vent, but I feel so sad when I see those numbers and people that talk only about her body and her ''nice'' outfits (obviously I'm not talking about this forum). She is more than this, she should be one of the most iconic pop figures alive, but it seems that people don't realise it. Or as is said, maybe she is overrated. I don't know.

Last edited by Aragorn97; 10-31-2019 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-01-2019, 12:06 AM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
To be honest I don't know if this is a theory or I just needed to vent, but I feel so sad when I see those numbers and people that talk only about her body and her ''nice'' outfits (obviously I'm not talking about this forum). She is more than this, she should be one of the most iconic pop figures alive, but it seems that people don't realise it. Or as is said, maybe she is overrated. I don't know.
Aragorn, I agree with you wholeheartedly…

Firstly, you get to “adore” her, absolutely utterly nothing wrong with that. I do also, believe it or not…

Secondly, “She is more than this”, absolutely…

From my point of view her musical career looks like it was totally “mishandled”. “Opportunities” were “missed”, her “persona” as an artiste was not “developed” or “enlarged”, and there appears to have been no “operational” or “strategic” planning put in place to bring/offer her music to a wider global audience…

Hence, she ended up being effectively a “one trick pony”, as in a “little Gallic Goddess”, who "wiggled her bum", and sang “naughty” French stuff, to a mostly French audience, who were probably the only ones that could understand what on earth the lyrics were actually alluding to…

I believe she was capable of far more, and she most certainly deserved far more…

With the correct handling she would have been a “global” star…

Absolutely @#$%^&* shocking waste of real talent…

And as for her post MF/LB musical career, well, to be honest it “lacked” a wee bit in “direction”, but her stuff really wasn’t bad at all, I really quite enjoyed it, but, it wasn’t what the “Lolli addicted” “hoi polloi” wanted to see, so it was effectively “stuffed”, and kind of “withered on the vine”…

She was unfortunately “typecast” in the eyes of her devoted fans, and “that”, as they say, “was that”…

<sigh>

Who knows what could have been…
Old 11-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I believe she was capable of far more, and she most certainly deserved far more…

With the correct handling she would have been a “global” star…

Absolutely @#$%^&* shocking waste of real talent…

And as for her post MF/LB musical career, well, to be honest it “lacked” a wee bit in “direction”, but her stuff really wasn’t bad at all, I really quite enjoyed it, but, it wasn’t what the “Lolli addicted” “hoi polloi” wanted to see, so it was effectively “stuffed”, and kind of “withered on the vine”…
Absolutely true
Old 11-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
I wonder how could you became an Alizée fan at all if you're so scornful of modern French music.
I had to reread my post and I don't know how you came to this conclusion

I like what I like, but I don't like to waste time listening to music that does nothing for me. The fact is that I do like some French artists, and as I mentioned, I got introduced to them because they were participating in Les Enfoires with Alizee. My musical tastes vary widely, but it doesn't mean I have to like whatever I hear.

Edit:

Quote:

MF just appeared to kind of “shrug”, which I will never ever forgive her for…

With the right material, Alizée, could have very easily had “global” audiences “at her feet”, “worshiping” her, not just a relatively small “franco-european” one…
I've wondered whether Mylene feared Alizee would become bigger than her. When Mylene selected her, Alizee was still a bit awkward, pretty but nothing compared to the beauty she was to become in the following years.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
There was a member here that once posted that Alizee was the prettiest in her MCE days, but "hottest" during the Psych era. Even though I am past the age where I would use the word "hot" to describe a woman, I think the member was spot on. She might have lost some of her appeal in France because she was no longer a teenager and instead a wife and mother, but her popularity grew elsewhere in the world. She was dazzling, worthy of a walk down the red carpet in Hollywood.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 11-01-2019 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-01-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:

There was a member here that once posted that Alizee was the prettiest in her MCE days, but "hottest" during the Psych era. Even though I am past the age where I would use the word "hot" to describe a woman, I think the member was spot on. She might have lost some of her appeal in France because she was no longer a teenager and instead a wife and mother, but her popularity grew elsewhere in the world. She was dazzling, worthy of a walk down the red carpet in Hollywood.
She IS dazzling!
Anyway I agree with that member. The Psychédélices era was exceptional from this point of view: she was incredibly beautiful. Sometimes I think about how meeting Alizée should be in every phase of life and that period has always amazed me.
I mean, I'm 22 and she was 23; this means that I could have met her in my university campus or in any other place I frequent. Basically we could have been friends or colleagues. This thought is almost unbelievable to me. I can't imagine her doing the same things I do. I feel as though she belongs to another category of people.
For example if I imagine Julia drinking a coffee in my university bar, I see it as normal, it's perfectly ok. But if I imagine that 23 year-old Alizée there, it seems so weird. It's as putting a Bengal tiger into kennels...

Edit:

And yes, I think that the main factor of her fading career is the change of attitude. She wanted to be considered as a woman, not a lolita. I think this is the main reason. Management, promotion, tattoos are just secondary things. People knew her as a lolita and wanted her to be that way. Once she had removed that character, she wasn't interesting anymore... That's why I find so sad how many people remember her.

Last edited by Aragorn97; 11-01-2019 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I had to reread my post and I don't know how you came to this conclusion
Because you value Alizée dogs more than truly talented singers I introduced.

Quote:
I like what I like, but I don't like to waste time listening to music that does nothing for me. The fact is that I do like some French artists, and as I mentioned, I got introduced to them because they were participating in Les Enfoires with Alizee. My musical tastes vary widely, but it doesn't mean I have to like whatever I hear.
You don't want to understand neither reasons for her musical failure nor background to possible successful comeback, right? Because if you did, you would be interested in exploring the field she has been playing. It is French music pop scene represented by young (or at least up to 40) female singers. Some of them sing in English (not doing very well), but the vast majority sing in French. The concurrency is fierce there. A very small number of people of France and francophone countries are willing to listen to 35 y.o. woman, no matter how beautiful she is, known mostly as a ballroom dancer over the last 5 years. Participation in Les Enfoires is not an indication of success in France and has never been such. It is mainly gathering of lazy old-timers who came there to take some setting sun. On the other hand, studying the market of young French female singers could help not only in analysing competitors but also in finding possible friends and companions in the hard cause of returning Alizée to the stage. I'm sorry for not finding understanding on this matter here.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 11-04-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Because you value Alizée dogs more than truly talented singers I introduced.

You don't want to understand neither reasons for her musical failure nor background to possible successful comeback, right? Because if you did, you would be interested in exploring the field she has been playing. It is French music pop scene represented by young (or at least up to 40) female singers. Some of them sing in English (not doing very well), but the vast majority sing in French. The concurrency is fierce there. A very small number of people of France and francophone countries are willing to listen to 35 y.o. woman, no matter how beautiful she is, known mostly as a ballroom dancer over the last 5 years. Participation in Les Enfoires is not an indication of success in France and has never been such. It is mainly gathering of lazy old-timers who came there to take some setting sun. On the other hand, studying the market of young French female singers could help not only in analysing competitors but also in finding possible friends and companions in the hard cause of returning Alizée to the stage. I'm sorry for not finding understanding on this matter here.
Silencio... You are taking this much too seriously.

We all know here on this forum that Alizee's singing career is most likely done. Barring a miracle where Mylene gets back into the picture, Alizee does not have the skills to produce and market an album of her own. We still have a shred of hope, even if that shred isn't much.

If I can see Alizee in whatever way I can, even if it is her petting her dogs, and I prefer that over watching some musicians perform that I don't like, why is this so upsetting to you?

Whatever your feelings about Les Enfoires is, many of these "lazy old-timers" as you call them dedicate a piece of their lives year after year for charity. If you ever watched them, you will see many of the performers are not old, and for those that are, good for them for keeping at it. You seem persistent that performers have an expiration date and can be discarded after growing their first gray hair.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 11-04-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Old 11-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

From what I'm hearing on FB, there will be a single out on vinyl, followed by an album of 12 songs.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

Maëlle has released her debut album today:

https://maelle.lnk.to/MAELLE

It will be interesting to compare its public reception with that of Julia's album (which will be released in 2020) to assess Mylène's producing capabilities in the modern market.