Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-03-2024, 02:24 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Good dividend stocks are usually pretty boring stocks, like utility stocks. They can trade in a certain price range for years. They have already matured as a company so there isn't as much reinvestment as other stocks, like tech. So they pay out more dividends.

Tech stocks don't pay squat for dividends because they are always reinvesting to expand their company. The fact you got a penny a share for NVDA is lucky.

I haven't used an advisory service for years. The biggest stock advisor is Jim Cramer on MSNBC and he probably is wrong more than he is right. I generally perform scans for stocks that have been beat down and are reaching a price point where historically it has held up and rebounded, because odds are it will rebound again.
You are right ! I try to get the stocks going up in value as I need the money. I had KO Coca-cola; but I dumped it as it's value was going no where.
It is a good stock for a young guy, as they can't go bankrupt and pay dividends; but I need the value going up, as I am an older guy !
The market was down last time I looked; so no one seems to know what is happening ?

Now is not the time to buy electronics such as a computer or TV; as presumably the faster AI chips will hit the market and the newer sets will be twice as fast if not more supposedly.

I saw where GoSun, I think it is has a novel idea. A Mat of solar cells you drape over you whole car; when parked, and then they charge you car from the sun. Since they block the front and back windows, then you cool your car at the same time ! Also it is cleaner, free energy ! A good idea, at least I think .

A good strategy is to put recommended stocks into your watch lists, them you can check them alter to see if you want to buy !

only stocks that seemed to look good, last time I checked, are LLY, JNJ, KVUE, Comcast ( I hate them, because they used to overcharge me; but the stock may be good ), BEN, and lastly SMCI- but I am still slightly leery of it, especially since all AI seems to be down lately ! INT appears to be dropping off the board, unfortunately I still own 2 shares in the Red !
Old 09-09-2024, 08:16 PM

Default S & P 500 changes

Some stocks were demoted ( such as American Airlines ) and others Promoted onto the SandP 500 notably PLTR ( something to do with Ai I think ? ) and Dell a ( PC maker as well as other things ) and Erie Indemnity ( I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like an insurance co. which must be doing ok to make the Promotion ! )
The stocks promoted always go Up, because the ETFs that specialize in this area start buying their stocks.
As a former contractor employee; I know that most of the Computers used in all government offices are DELLs. This is because they are very reliable and don't break as fast as others . Some people use Macs; but only about a small percentage in the government !

AAPL stock announces the IPhone 16 I think and so they will probably go up in value as a lot of the IPhone people will immediately upgrade ( unless due to the bad kind of economy, they don't ! ) I have a few AAPL shares ; but I don't have an IPhone, Ha ! ( I am behind the times ! )
Old 09-12-2024, 06:50 PM

Default Stocks that have been good for me

Some Stocks that have been good for me
AVGO Broadcom AI ( I forget when I got into it but I am up 1,000
NVDA Nvidia AI ( I got into it years ago, but I am up 1,000
MSFT Microsoft getting into AI and the Cloud, and I am up another 1,000
LRCX Lam Research Ai this one goes up and down a lot, but I am up 1,000
PSA Public Storage REIT In the red for 2 years, but now I am up 100
O Reality REIT This is -300, but pays me $10 a month !
MA Mastercard I am only up 150
AXP American Express I am only up 150
MCD McDonalds Used to be good, but is down as fast food is expensive now !
ADP ( I forget ) but up and down I am up 100
AMGEN ( I forget ) but I am up 100
HCA Healthcare but I am up 100
Motley Fool ETF I am up 1,500
I should probably put more money into ETFs, because then they watch the stocks for you. You do have to pay them a fee, so you should try for the ETFs with low charges !

Stocks that are probably good; but I don't participate in them anymore
PM Philip Morris I don't think I want to have people smoke !
PFE Phizer Shots I haven't liked them since the Virus !
Moderna Shots The same as Pfizer !
So I guess I have some Scruples after all !

Sign of the times ? IS PSA storage up because people have had to downsize their houses and apartments and so they have had to put more of their goods into Storage ? A variable you won't see in the government figures !
And O the REIT is in better shape, because more people are returning to the office and so office space rents are up ? The Reit has been down as much as $400 on me, but is now back up ?

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 09-12-2024 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-14-2024, 09:00 PM

Default Your Retirement money

In the states; when you retire, they usually offer you a lump sum or you can take monthly check from some company !

If you take the lump; you will pay taxes on the whole amount as opposed to only paying taxes on your monthly check.

However my take is that you should always take the lump sum; following an old adage; "If you've got money, you can make money ! "; whereas with a monthly check you won't have much money to do anything with and inflation will eat into it as you go along !

So I took my lump sum from the last company and have made some money with it in the stock market ( fingers crossed that we don't have an economic collapse in the US ) ! Ha !