Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Foreignness might have a little to do with it, but think a minute. How many foreign performers move you that much? I think it's mostly something else.

Most of the time, when you see a performance, it's just a performance. The person is sharing his or her talents and charisma. Alizee does that, too, but also seems to share herself. It's as if when she looks at you, she's saying, "We're friends." She's inviting you to actually know her. There's something very real going on there, and it's quite rare. Unique even. I don't think I've ever seen it before on stage, from anyone.

I sure hope it isn't just that she was so young when she performed everything we've seen so far, that stardom doesn't end up killing it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM

Hubba44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Foreignness might have a little to do with it, but think a minute. How many foreign performers move you that much? I think it's mostly something else.

Most of the time, when you see a performance, it's just a performance. The person is sharing his or her talents and charisma. Alizee does that, too, but also seems to share herself. It's as if when she looks at you, she's saying, "We're friends." She's inviting you to actually know her. There's something very real going on there, and it's quite rare. Unique even. I don't think I've ever seen it before on stage, from anyone.

I sure hope it isn't just that she was so young when she performed everything we've seen so far, that stardom doesn't end up killing it.
Great response. Very good point. Noone has ever moved me this much. Foreign or not.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

The Frenchness? The Corsicanness? LOL Could it also be the fact that she is a SMOKIN' HOTTIE??? Hey, somebody had to say it. :P
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
The Frenchness? The Corsicanness? LOL Could it also be the fact that she is a SMOKIN' HOTTIE??? Hey, somebody had to say it. :P
Smokin' hotties are a dime a dozen. There's only one Alizee.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

That's true but the difference between Alizee and somebody like Britney Spears is that Britney is in the limelight so much that she is turning into a joke. Alizee made two albums and one DVD. Then 'POOF' it was over. Alizee left us with a hunger while Britney now turns our stomachs. I do believe that Alizee would have had the same fate if she had stayed on.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

I'm not at all sure about that. Actually, this goes back to the "smokin' hottie" thing. Another observation.

I'm not so sure I agree Alizee really is a "smokin' hottie." A beautiful woman, yes, but what I feel invited to do by her performances isn't to make love to her, but to love her. Completely different. She really doesn't pull off the Lolita sexpot thing all that convincingly. There's just something too nice, too wholesome, too sweet and open about her for that. Didn't some jerk of a critic say something about her "desperately trying to be sexy"? She is sexy, but she's just not a slut, and that's I think the wrong image for her.

Contrast with Britney Spears. (And setting aside the fact that, musically, nothing Britney has ever done comes anywhere within light years of Alizee.) Britney Spears does not come across as nice, wholesome, sweet, or open. Never has. I don't know if she's a slut or not, I don't know her personally and don't want to, but she's convincing as one on stage.

I just can't see Alizee turning into a Britney Spears, no matter how many recordings she ends up giving us or tours she goes on. She's too different.

I also think it's a good idea for her to take time off between efforts like this. That new album, if and when she ever finishes it, is going to be very different from anything she's done before, I'll bet. (Like: You can't be a 20-something Lolita, sorry. And: She IS past 20 now.) There's a lot of intelligence behind those gorgeous eyes and a lot of depth. I don't think she's anywhere near finished her run.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Hubba44 is on a distinguished road

Another great point. I also do not look at her as a sexual object like i might someone else. I really do think there is deeper attraction at work. I respect her above anything else (I respect all woman really, just raised that way). She does come across as a wholesome beautiful talented woman. I am just trying to understand what draws me to her so much where as other clearly beautiful woman do not cause me to join fan forums, nor listen to their 2 albums an average of 7 times each every day, nor watch their live concert every other night (hey i am not crazy, I watch movies and sports too). This is all rather new to me, I only first of Alizée about 2 months ago. I thought my near obsession would pass, but it has not.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubba44 View Post
Another great point. I also do not look at her as a sexual object like i might someone else. I really do think there is deeper attraction at work. I respect her above anything else (I respect all woman really, just raised that way). She does come across as a wholesome beautiful talented woman. I am just trying to understand what draws me to her so much where as other clearly beautiful woman do not cause me to join fan forums, nor listen to their 2 albums an average of 7 times each every day, nor watch their live concert every other night (hey i am not crazy, I watch movies and sports too). This is all rather new to me, I only first of Alizée about 2 months ago. I thought my near obsession would pass, but it has not.

i find it amazing that people of all different ages from all over the world, all tell the exact same story when they first discover Alizée. I think almost everyone here as written exactly what Hubba just wrote.

it's almost like some kind of spell ...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

rwd716 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubba44 View Post
If she were an American, would we feel the same way. I really am not sure.
Quote:
Foreignness might have a little to do with it, but think a minute. How many foreign performers move you that much?
Quote:
A beautiful woman, yes, but what I feel invited to do by her performances isn't to make love to her, but to love her. Completely different. She really doesn't pull off the Lolita sexpot thing all that convincingly. There's just something too nice, too wholesome, too sweet and open about her for that.

Contrast with Britney Spears. (And setting aside the fact that, musically, nothing Britney has ever done comes anywhere within light years of Alizee.) Britney Spears does not come across as nice, wholesome, sweet, or open. Never has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
I think her Frenchness has a lot to do with it. At least in the beginning, but I think it is all of the details that keep you interested after a while.
Brad ftw. If Alizée was American I know I wouldn't have been as hooked as I am now. But it isn't just the foreignness cause I've never been drawn to foreign singers. It truly is Alizée as a whole. Her interviews are what hooked me. Her sweetness and realness, I think, is her strongest point. As said, drop-dead hotties are a dime a dozen, but Lili brings so much more
Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 PM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

It's absolutely a french thing. The sound of her voice, the accent combined with the music is what drew my attention in the first place , after that came everything else.

So really I owe everything to the voice of Alizee and the music of Laurent Boutennant

What is her music, french pop? I like it