Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Meh, too expensive of a toy. Good luck to the first fellow on this site to get their "LiliPhone."

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Pirate515 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
It would probably be smart to wait for the second generation for a lot of reasons (bugs, price drop, etc.). But I think I will cough up the cash to get one early...
I absolutely agree. I am 100% sure that it will have a ton of issues when it comes out, and my guess is that it will take Apple + AT&T a few months to iron them out (well, at least the major ones).

Another deal breaker for me is AT&T. I tried signing up for Cingular about 2.5 years ago and their reception was just terrible (at least around where I live). Good thing that they have a 30-day trial period, after being unhappy for several days I went right-back to T-Mobile, thankfully without the early termination fee. I know things could have changed during that time, but I am still very skeptical about switching. Actually, a friend of mine is planning to switch to AT&T very soon (he's waiting for Motorola Q9 to be released), so I am going to use him as a guinea pig. If he's happy with it, I just might cough up the cash, switch to AT&T and get an iPhone.

By the way, a word of advice to those who just have to have it when it comes out. Do not buy it directly from AT&T (i.e. official stores + website), visit some of your local mom-and-pop wireless dealers. As ironic as it sounds, they can usually give you a better deal than AT&T will directly. Unfortunately, most of them probably won't have it right when it comes out, but give it about a week or two and they will. Of course, if you are way too impatient and have to have it the second it comes out, then buying it directly is your only choice.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 AM

painbringer is on a distinguished road

its a nice little gazget. if i had the moola i 'd but it
Old 06-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Drake498 is on a distinguished road

hmm... looking at Pirate's post.... does anyone here have Verizon?
I do...

Je t'aime Alizée
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

What I'd love is if Apple made the iPhone, but without the phone (it would still have WiFi), and opened it up to developers. It would be the ultimate PDA, ultimata Internet device, and the ultimate iPod. I'd certainly buy that!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

i want one, but if i do get one i'll at least wait for Rev.B
Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate515 View Post
I absolutely agree. I am 100% sure that it will have a ton of issues when it comes out, and my guess is that it will take Apple + AT&T a few months to iron them out (well, at least the major ones).
How can you say that (I am 100% sure that it will have a ton of issues when it comes out) ??? Apple has been making innovating things for a while now, and have never had any major problems........ The only minor problems I can think of is: (1) A battery issue with their 3rd generation ipods, I had this problem it was easily resolved. I called them, they sent me an empty box for shipping, I sent my ipod and they sent it back with new battery and also they polished my ipod (unless they sent me a new one, although it had same inscriptions on the back). (2) Again battery issues, this time with the new laptops (I was fortunate and did not have this problem). They would over heat or something like that. Apple issued replacement laptops to those with this problem, problem solved. So Quite frankly, how can anyone say that??? I don't think they will have any major problems. They will certainly better them, and price will most likely drop. In case something does go terribly wrong with their iphone, it will be the first time..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
What I'd love is if Apple made the iPhone, but without the phone (it would still have WiFi), and opened it up to developers. It would be the ultimate PDA, ultimata Internet device, and the ultimate iPod. I'd certainly buy that!
As far as opening it up for developers......... Bad idea. Would you want to risk your new innovation with any other developer? Risk your product and reputation........ Trust me if something went wrong, no one is going to step up to the plate and say it was something that we did. It would fall all on Apple, and even if someone did step up to the plate, those that are not loyal buyers (casual buyers or new buyers) would think twice about buying another product from Apple...........

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 06-13-2007, 12:27 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
As far as opening it up for developers......... Bad idea. Would you want to risk your new innovation with any other developer? Risk your product and reputation........ Trust me if something went wrong, no one is going to step up to the plate and say it was something that we did. It would fall all on Apple, and even if someone did step up to the plate, those that are not loyal buyers (casual buyers or new buyers) would think twice about buying another product from Apple...........
Except that third-party software is essential to any successful platform. Imagine if Microsoft made the only software for Windows, or if Apple made the only software for OS X, or if Sony made all games for the Playstation? Even going more specific, look at the smartphones that the iPhone will be competing against. Both Palm OS and Windows Mobile have thousands of third-party programs that anybody can use. Without them, the platforms would have no allure at all.

While the iPhone has Apple, it would be a huge improvement if third-party applications could be made. They don't have to come standard, and they don't have to be advertised, but Apple cannot give people every kind of application that they want on their smartphone.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Yes, but do you not agree that this can be added later. Why risk this now, when your allready braking a few barriers in inovation, by adding more features. Who's to blame if something goes terribly wrong? How do you think Apple would look having a conferrence to state that a third party software was the cause of the iphone not functioning like it was supposed to? Do you honestly think everyone would accept that?

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Last edited by Jess; 06-13-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
How can you say that (I am 100% sure that it will have a ton of issues when it comes out) ??? Apple has been making innovating things for a while now, and have never had any major problems........
heh, maybe you haven't been around long enough for older mac stuff but there's been plenty of times that first gen products had many issues, some really severe to be almost called showstopping. for example, the first G4 AGP powermac, i think codename sawtooth had major problems with mobo shorting out as well as G4 ibooks having bad logic boards and first gen G5 powermacs having heat and stability issues. it's just a known fact that first gen products do have more issues because lack of widespread usage which detect the problems. apple is really good at addressing these problems and by Rev. B they are much better.