Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youpidou1 View Post
Why did that kiss, happen?
My guess (without consulting anyone who would actually know): the masked woman in both this and the released version represents Juliet's spirit, her destiny, her death, or all three.

In Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, the scene with Juliet on her balcony and Romeo wooing her from below results in their elopement and marriage, which in turn leads to their deaths. After their deaths, the families ended their feud. Their deaths were a sacrifice, in that sense.

In the video, the masked woman interrupts this and leads Juliet through the scenes with the manikin-like women and the strange dance.

At the end of the dance, everyone except Juliet and the masked woman falls down. (Dead?) We can see the final fight-like dance as an acting-out of the family feud, with everyone getting killed (which they didn't in the play because the young lovers died and that shocked everyone out of their stupidity). The kiss, I think, is the masked woman assuming the identity of Juliet, merging the two of them, so that Juliet in the corset, Juliet playing that role, is no more, and the masked woman (Juliet's spirit) is free.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what connection to the song that had?
No direct connection, but all of the above resonates well with the song's theme of criticizing Shakespeare for his abusive treatment of his heroine. The video rejects the Bard.

Quote:
And can anyone tell me why it was taken out?
Again, we have to guess, but I would say that Alizée (probably) decided to remove it because:

1) Its meaning was too obscure; and

2) It could divert everyone's attention from what the video was saying to questions of whether Lili was going lezzie.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 12-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Pretty good summation, Deepwaters. My guess is also that Alizée is the one who decided to remove the kiss.

I'm thinking that someone suggested trying it, so she did, and she didn't like the result. It was a cool idea, but Her Grace probably knows best. I don't think she's made any mistakes in judgment yet. Ya gotta go with what works...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

2) It could divert everyone's attention from what the video was saying to questions of whether Lili was going lezzie. [/QUOTE]

I have feeling it is the second reason. But since this video is out anyways won't everyone still discuss lili going lezzie! But the kiss was separated by the mask, so it wasn't a proper kiss. Lili is smart!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

The kiss was not passionate or sensual, so I wouldn't mistake it for that. The kiss was acted out exactly in the way needed to convey the explanation Deepwaters gave for the kiss.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
My guess (without consulting anyone who would actually know): the masked woman in both this and the released version represents Juliet's spirit, her destiny, her death, or all three.

In Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, the scene with Juliet on her balcony and Romeo wooing her from below results in their elopement and marriage, which in turn leads to their deaths. After their deaths, the families ended their feud. Their deaths were a sacrifice, in that sense.

In the video, the masked woman interrupts this and leads Juliet through the scenes with the manikin-like women and the strange dance.

At the end of the dance, everyone except Juliet and the masked woman falls down. (Dead?) We can see the final fight-like dance as an acting-out of the family feud, with everyone getting killed (which they didn't in the play because the young lovers died and that shocked everyone out of their stupidity). The kiss, I think, is the masked woman assuming the identity of Juliet, merging the two of them, so that Juliet in the corset, Juliet playing that role, is no more, and the masked woman (Juliet's spirit) is free.

No direct connection, but all of the above resonates well with the song's theme of criticizing Shakespeare for his abusive treatment of his heroine. The video rejects the Bard.

Again, we have to guess, but I would say that Alizée (probably) decided to remove it because:

1) Its meaning was too obscure; and

2) It could divert everyone's attention from what the video was saying to questions of whether Lili was going lezzie.
Deep That was well said. Now I have a complete understanding of the video. I knew it was Romeo and Juliet but I never understood the whole 2 identity thing with 2 ladies.

All you need is 1 Truck.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 AM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Ok, now that all the dust has settled, I think I can post my thoughts on this:

I can't say I liked the second version of this at all. I think it gives out the wrong message, and attracts the wrong crowd. In fact when this video came out, I went around the different forums to see what the reaction was, and for the most part everyone liked it... but for the wrong reasons. I think she was smart not to release this version initially, however I don't know why it was released afterwards. Not everyone stops to figure out the meaning of things, and she still has a lot of young fans that would definitely not understand the meaning of this. Although I don't have a problem with the action, I totally disagree with artist resorting to anything to attract the masses, not saying that's what she's trying to do, but if you're really good you don't need any distraction to your music (period).

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 AM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Talking

hi
she said she used a real early 20th century corset in this videoclip
cheers
Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Ok, now that all the dust has settled, I think I can post my thoughts on this:

I can't say I liked the second version of this at all. I think it gives out the wrong message, and attracts the wrong crowd. In fact when this video came out, I went around the different forums to see what the reaction was, and for the most part everyone liked it... but for the wrong reasons. I think she was smart not to release this version initially, however I don't know why it was released afterwards. Not everyone stops to figure out the meaning of things, and she still has a lot of young fans that would definitely not understand the meaning of this. Although I don't have a problem with the action, I totally disagree with artist resorting to anything to attract the masses, not saying that's what she's trying to do, but if you're really good you don't need any distraction to your music (period).
You think that this video would attract the masses if it was originally released as the official version?

Are you saying this because of the "kiss" at the end? If so, you have to realize that this "kiss" was hardly even a kiss and was completely symbolic. It's not as if people who watch the video would say, "Oh boy, erotic lesbianism!"

Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc De Mac View Post
It's not as if people who watch the video would say, "Oh boy, erotic lesbianism!"
On the contrary, people are stupid enough that's exactly what they'd say.

The video doesn't send that message, but that's what would come through the filters in all too many people's brains. She was wise not to use it. It's too bad, really, but it's fact.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716