Logo #3 0 0%
Logo #4 0 0%
Logo #5 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
L'âme Artistique

Amelie is on a distinguished road

i think that the first on eis the best

Miss Amélie's Myspace-New design again! 2008 10 02.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

I am with everyone else aswell number 1 is the best.

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Schwazzy, baby !

The Cap is on a distinguished road
Default Good luck with that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
I think that we're better off trying to get permission to use the real logo. These are very nicely done, but not nearly as polished as RCA's.
I agree. First. we need to get Brad to assemble and pay for a crack legal team of entertainment and merchandising legal pros to negotiate a formal licensing contract with RCA/BMG. We'll also have to secure international rights to use the logo, since we're not in the country of business origin. Then there are separate merchandising rights for every item produced - t-shirts, polo shits, caps, etc.. And those contracts will very likely require some sort of mass merchandising - say, a few thousand units minimum, to be made to international quality standards and distributed to all appropriate markets. Then there are manufacturing costs, distribution costs, the retail and on-line commerce channel costs.

I could work for 100 years and not be able to pay for just the legal costs, just to secure the rights to use the real logo. If you want to try and get RCA/BMG Europe into a negotiation to use their official property under license, be my guest. I just hope you have a bottomless pit full of cash to pay for it all, because I suspect Brad doesn't, and I know for certain that I don't.

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Or we could always just use it without asking, and stop if we're told to.

Commercial profit from mild copyright violation is all around you, it's a matter of where you set the bar. Take this very site, for example
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Schwazzy, baby !

Default Tricky, from a rights standpoint ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
Or we could always just use it without asking, and stop if we're told to.

Commercial profit from mild copyright violation is all around you, it's a matter of where you set the bar. Take this very site, for example
True, we could use it, "unblessed" by the corporate suits. The version of the new official logo I created from scratch is better than a scan, but it's way too close to the original to be considered anything else but a blatant copy of the original, for legal and merchandising purposes at least.

The problem is that we'd be taking a huge chance that BMG wouldn't just put the big hurt on us (me, most likely) without any warning. After all, their case would be completely airtight - I used their logo for unlicensed commercial purposes. I could wind up owing them more money than I'm worth. It's not worth the risk to use anything that could be remotely interpreted as BMG property.

That is why I created a few logos with original designs. None of the proposed logos looks much like anything BMG or Polydor would own the rights to market or manufacture. The name "Alizée" may have certain rights attached - namely, the right of publicity - which could prohibit the use of the name of a media personality for commercial purposes without license. However, that particular right can be difficult to claim and enforce, and may not be worth the expense to enforce internationally ... short of issuing a "cease-and-desist" letter.

I agree that all this is a tricky path to walk ... but, as you've already said, if RCA/BMG wanted to go after unauthorized use of it's "property", this site - along with many other Alizée fan sites - are far more attractive (and potentially lucrative) targets.

Thoughts ?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:46 PM

suzybananasplit is on a distinguished road

Just a thought...but do you really think someone in America is going to notice that we used her logo and would report us? Sadly, the majority of Americans have no idea who she is.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Schwazzy, baby !

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzybananasplit View Post
Just a thought...but do you really think someone in America is going to notice that we used her logo and would report us? Sadly, the majority of Americans have no idea who she is.
It's possible. All it takes is one word in the ear of an RCA/BMG lawyer with some time on his hands and we'd be finished.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 PM

suzybananasplit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
It's possible. All it takes is one word in the ear of an RCA/BMG lawyer with some time on his hands and we'd be finished.
Who would really go to all the trouble of finding the RCA/BMG lawyer, and call them all the way in France? I just think theres a very small chance.

But if you're really that worried about it, then yes I'd say the best idea is just to make a unique logo.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:55 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Also keep in mind it's not just a matter of using the Logo, but it's also a matter of licensing. I would think (hope) Alizee will be developing some marketing products in the future, and perhaps will license certain aspects of these products. A failure to challenge unlicensed vendors can undermine one's ability to garner vendors willing to license products. After all, why should a vendor pay a license fee if they can produce the product without a license?

Second, failure to protect one's copyright can sometimes be interpreted by acceptance of not only the specific infringement but of other infringements associated with the copyright. For example, if we sold T-shirts that should otherwise by licensed, and Alizée did not move to protect those rights, then one could interpret the non-action on the T-shirts as a defacto approval of this site in general, to include the use of other copyrighted material. This can get very complicated.

IANAL.

I believe the best approach is to go with our own special site name version, and avoid the possible heartache involved othewise.

On a side note, I've been look at several vendors online and have found one with T prices in the $10 range, to include 10000 stitch embroidery.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Schwazzy, baby !

Default Well ... we're waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
On a side note, I've been look at several vendors online and have found one with T prices in the $10 range, to include 10000 stitch embroidery.
So let's see it. Where's the mock-up ? Have you done a custom logo yourself yet ? Where is this site that promotes a business that will do such great quality work so cheaply ? Without pre-ordering, without mass quantity restrictions or requirements, with multiple shirt sizes, that lets individual customers buy with a credit card ?

Well ? We're waiting.