Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did her new album fail?
Her clothing 0 0%
Deviation from mainstream pop 4 7.69%
Her long absense 1 1.92%
lack of sexiness 1 1.92%
lack of dance 2 3.85%
ineptitude of the record company 2 3.85%
Bad or lack of TV performances 0 0%
Bad producers 1 1.92%
Marriage 1 1.92%
Overall quality of album (I am sure no one is gonna vote for this) 3 5.77%
Bad single choice and music video 3 5.77%
Bad lyrics 1 1.92%
Separaation fro LB and MF 14 26.92%
Loss of her previous images 8 15.38%
Bad reviews 0 0%
Alizee's lack of experience (probably not true. I am sure no one is gonna vote for this either 0 0%
No international album 1 1.92%
Her overal looks 1 1.92%
Bad interviews 0 0%
....other 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM

clique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal View Post
WHAT IS THIS? what are you farmer brown here to presume the album failed?? this is absolute shite.

I dont think this is an Alizee fan at all.

How can you presume this shes sold quite a bit with limited supply. Amazon sold out of her cd. failure?

easy math. amazon sold out b/c the cd did better than forecasts. this is called success. two months out is hardly enough time to call anything.
Limited supply? Where did you get that from? French Amazon still has her CD in stock as far as I can tell.

There's no reason to deny that the sales so far have been a bit disappoing. No one was expecting sales in the Gourmandises/MCE class, but I think most of us were hoping that she could at least compete with Jenifer and Lorie. Still, I wouldn't call her CD a 'failure', not yet anyway. Hopefully things will pick up a bit in the new year.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

Well i would have to say her new album hasn't been a major hit and everyone would have to agree with this. And Alizee can produce a major international album as we've seen in the past.

Her new album is too strange for the mainstream. The pop culture needs simple lyrics, messages and images that relate to basic emotional matters: love, jealousy, loneliness, regret and so on. Esoteric messages dealing with Shakespeare are great if you're going for threater goers seeking convoluted messages.

But Alizee should do the opposite. Her audience is going to be young girls, teenagers, and those in their twenties (and men as well from all different ages). She needs to realize this and find something that resonates with them: catchy songs, faster images, beauty, dancing, music that you can dance to...

Her new music is good in all honesty but it's not good enough to sell like Jenifer. And i don't really like the excuse that she has been gone for years. If the music resonates with the populace it will sell regardless especially considering all the media attention given to her.

And also when compared to the Dec. 7 2007 performance of Lolita (which was amazingly good except for those two weird guys) we can see the difference in quality b/w the new and old music. When you have the highest selling female french artist producing your music the result is bound to be really good.

Alizee made the right choice to seperate herself from MF b/c she can't be her protégée forever. But Alizee was wrong to seperate herself from the image that sells records.

Madonna tried something like this back around 1998. Madonna's album was certainly a success but couldn't measure up to her previous albums. But why? Madonna wanted to show everybody how much she had matured, how philosophical she is, and how deep her music can be.

People who are interested in that turn to Sarah McLachlan or Anne Lennox from the get go. Fans of Alizee and those comparable to her i.e. Brittney Spears (only in a strictly musical style of course) are fans not of complex lyrics or Shakespeare and will not all of the sudden changed their thinking. They are not going to be "Enlightened" by exposure to new music.

Alizee is unique though compared to Spears first b/c Alizee is extremely bright and truly artistic. Spears, although very very talented, doesn't know how to run her own life. But Spears, in a business perspective, knew that top producers and record labels knew how to sell her image and records.

Alizee, unfortunately, will have to do the same. She can either collaborate with top music producers or simply leave it to them. Alizee has proven with this record to herself and to others that there is more than just "Alizee." But if she wants popular recognition she will have to re-orient herself back to the basics of pop music.

Alizee should have the confidence in herself to sell an image but know that she is so much more. Alizee has practically everything: extremely sexy but also innocent looking and cute, dancing, singing, experience, youth, and intelligence.

In a way this album can either hurt her or help her. People can learn a lot more from their failures than there successes and hopefully this will make Alizee stronger and more motivated to become an international star. Or she can go back to a more private life. Hopefully she chooses the former and hopefully she will do it very soon.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
You must recover!

Neiteio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clique View Post
Limited supply? Where did you get that from? French Amazon still has her CD in stock as far as I can tell.

There's no reason to deny that the sales so far have been a bit disappoing. No one was expecting sales in the Gourmandises/MCE class, but I think most of us were hoping that she could at least compete with Jenifer and Lorie. Still, I wouldn't call her CD a 'failure', not yet anyway. Hopefully things will pick up a bit in the new year.
Exactly. And while it's been pointed out before that the Jenifer/Lorie comparisons aren't 100% fair due to them having active fanbases, we still expected more for the return of Alizée. I believe they could've accomplished better starting sales too, had they crafted an image that grabbed you and refused to let go like the JEAM sailor.

There's still time to lock the image down, though.

- N
Old 01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Alizée Fan For Life

SilentFox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo! View Post
It's ONLY BEEN A MONTH, relax there is still much more to come

patience is a virtue
i would have to agree...the album has only been out for a month..just give it time and soon she will be back on top..just a slow process this time for her
Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM

daniel1985 is on a distinguished road

Why has it not done so well?

Because it is so blemin different from the stuff that made all of us her fans.

She needs to do some performances of the old songs... Moi Lolita, JPVA, Hey Amigo, Tempete

Then when we are all at melting point (along with all the new fans she would be guaranteed to make), she could throw in any number of these new songs of hers, that you currently have to 'learn to love' and they would just sell like hot cakes.

I have nothing against her 'expressing' her personality, but without a 'we can't get enough of you' fanbase, things are going to progress alot slower than pre 2004.

I'll be honest. Some of her old songs probably wouldn't have done her so good if they had come out first... I'm talking Mon Maquis & Cest Trop Tard.

But with the frenzy she created with the initial songs - Moi Lolita, Gourmandises etc, no one would care and hell... Cest Trop Tard has grown on me.

I'll wrap this (my) post up...

Her songs are fine, but she needs to bring the old image and style back (if only for a while) to recapture the (almost frenzy like) fanbase, before introducing more stuff.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:33 PM

daniel1985 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
Well i would have to say her new album hasn't been a major hit and everyone would have to agree with this. And Alizee can produce a major international album as we've seen in the past.

Her new album is too strange for the mainstream. The pop culture needs simple lyrics, messages and images that relate to basic emotional matters: love, jealousy, loneliness, regret and so on. Esoteric messages dealing with Shakespeare are great if you're going for threater goers seeking convoluted messages.

But Alizee should do the opposite. Her audience is going to be young girls, teenagers, and those in their twenties (and men as well from all different ages). She needs to realize this and find something that resonates with them: catchy songs, faster images, beauty, dancing, music that you can dance to...

Her new music is good in all honesty but it's not good enough to sell like Jenifer. And i don't really like the excuse that she has been gone for years. If the music resonates with the populace it will sell regardless especially considering all the media attention given to her.

And also when compared to the Dec. 7 2007 performance of Lolita (which was amazingly good except for those two weird guys) we can see the difference in quality b/w the new and old music. When you have the highest selling female french artist producing your music the result is bound to be really good.

Alizee made the right choice to seperate herself from MF b/c she can't be her protégée forever. But Alizee was wrong to seperate herself from the image that sells records.

Madonna tried something like this back around 1998. Madonna's album was certainly a success but couldn't measure up to her previous albums. But why? Madonna wanted to show everybody how much she had matured, how philosophical she is, and how deep her music can be.

People who are interested in that turn to Sarah McLachlan or Anne Lennox from the get go. Fans of Alizee and those comparable to her i.e. Brittney Spears (only in a strictly musical style of course) are fans not of complex lyrics or Shakespeare and will not all of the sudden changed their thinking. They are not going to be "Enlightened" by exposure to new music.

Alizee is unique though compared to Spears first b/c Alizee is extremely bright and truly artistic. Spears, although very very talented, doesn't know how to run her own life. But Spears, in a business perspective, knew that top producers and record labels knew how to sell her image and records.

Alizee, unfortunately, will have to do the same. She can either collaborate with top music producers or simply leave it to them. Alizee has proven with this record to herself and to others that there is more than just "Alizee." But if she wants popular recognition she will have to re-orient herself back to the basics of pop music.

Alizee should have the confidence in herself to sell an image but know that she is so much more. Alizee has practically everything: extremely sexy but also innocent looking and cute, dancing, singing, experience, youth, and intelligence.

In a way this album can either hurt her or help her. People can learn a lot more from their failures than there successes and hopefully this will make Alizee stronger and more motivated to become an international star. Or she can go back to a more private life. Hopefully she chooses the former and hopefully she will do it very soon.
Wow!

Very well put.

I am ashamed at my previous post in this thread, as you have summed up my feelings, in a far more sophisticated post.

I must have been typing my post, whilst you posted yours.

Well done indeed.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM

clique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel1985 View Post
Her songs are fine, but she needs to bring the old image and style back (if only for a while) to recapture the (almost frenzy like) fanbase, before introducing more stuff.
She can't just "bring her old style and image back". For one, I don't think she wants to. I think she wants to produce music that is true to her own personality. Even if she wanted to go back to her old image, no one would take her seriously if she did. It would be a bit embarassing, to be honest.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:14 PM

nihr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post

Registered to thank you for writing this excellent post. I agree with everything you said.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
star traveller

-MihaiL- is on a distinguished road

There is no much philosophy in here. The old style music is sexy, attractive and her current music is fatiguing and sad, reminds me of the singer called Dido in a way. Most funny she told to the public that these 3 years she was perfecting the album. LOL!
Emotions are what being a human is all about, without them you are dead.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Alizée Fan For Life

SilentFox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MihaiL- View Post
There is no much philosophy in here. The old style music is sexy, attractive and her current music is fatiguing and sad, reminds me of the singer called Dido in a way. Most funny she told to the public that these 3 years she was perfecting the album. LOL!
Emotions are what being a human is all about, without them you are dead.
You do have a point there MihaiL...Her old music was great to listen to and is still great today, just now now the only music you hear her sing is really Mj and thats about it, she does do a few other interviews as well. But really she needs to pick other songs to sing like a few old ones from her first or second album to sing and that may help boost her career back up top, but still as she sings other new songs!