Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 08-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
how successful has he been in the US though? I mean, i've never heard of them, nor have i ever heard any of their songs on the radio and such.

seriously, most people aren't gonna have an interest in something they cannot understand. which is very unfortunate.
This is often very true in the USA. But here's one example of the exception to the rule. This is a Japanese song that reached the top of the charts in the USA in 1963. Worldwide it sold 13 million copies. Considering that average people didn't travel nearly as much, and there was no internet to expose people to other cultures, I find it amazing that a foreign language song could top the charts in the USA in those days. I would think that people would be more accepting to such a thing today. But maybe not. Maybe we have gone backwards in this country and are less enlightened.

Maybe we all deserve a good slap in the face...

Or maybe we just need Alizée to come here and teach us...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtXQ31F1A-k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtXQ31F1A-k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
how successful has he been in the US though? I mean, i've never heard of them, nor have i ever heard any of their songs on the radio and such.

seriously, most people aren't gonna have an interest in something they cannot understand. which is very unfortunate.
Rammstein are very, very famous. They're an Industrial/Industrial Metal band at that, add that with foreign language and it's amazing they've done quite well in English speaking countries. I'm a fan myself, as well as Jung, Nikita, etc.

I agree with Mal, it is the lack of promotion and the will for it.
Americans, i'm starting to see, especially in some states, are opening up quite a bit. Wonder Girls toured with the JoHoes and did great considering they're a Korean girl group. SNSD, Super Junior, SHINee, etc. have also performed to stadiums and venues in the USA to great acclaim.
Aside from that I can name a list of other foreign-speaking bands that have had relatively successful tours of the USA.

The closest thing to recent relative French US success is Yelle, though her concerts were in no way big, they did what they were intended to do for a foreign band in the USA, garner more curiosity AND fans.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fE8EMWxuZB0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fE8EMWxuZB0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal View Post
Your so wrong. Rammstein sings in German and they are massively famous. Many many many other hits have made it in other languages.
hey someone else noticed that too language is not a barrier when it comes to music

Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Yeah, language is only a barrier if one decides it is.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
successful tours and successful sales even on their newer albums which have little to no promotion in the US and they even get played on a couple rock stations even in small town ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
The closest thing to recent relative French US success is Yelle, though her concerts were in no way big, they did what they were intended to do for a foreign band in the USA, garner more curiosity AND fans.
well I'd consider 4000 people in attendance on a week night with under a month notice rather successful

Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

You have to consider, Rammstein and Yelle both have elements to their live shows and music Alizee does not anymore. Rammstein's concerts are very controversial and outlandish, with crazy pyrotechnics, blood, mock sex....pretty crazy stuff. On the other hand, Yelle is an extremely high energy and sexually charged artist, she just goes crazy on stage.

Alizee's music and live shows are more calm and subdued. She simply stands and sings, walks around a little but not a whole lot else, and her music is rather mellow compared to the other 2. Unless you love Alizee's music, maybe theres not a whole lot else to see.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
Alizee's music and live shows are more calm and subdued. She simply stands and sings, walks around a little but not a whole lot else, and her music is rather mellow compared to the other 2. Unless you love Alizee's music, maybe theres not a whole lot else to see.
would you say that decollage, fifty sixty, lilly(and my favorite JVPA) are mellow? i mean, some like L'Alize and such are quite the mellow songs, but her new songs(psych) is definetly not all so mellow.

though about her just standing around, im hoping with the new album, she'll bring back the awesome dancing she did during the MCE years.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Man Among Men

Quote:
would you say that decollage, fifty sixty, lilly(and my favorite JVPA) are mellow? i mean, some like L'Alize and such are quite the mellow songs, but her new songs(psych) is definetly not all so mellow.

though about her just standing around, im hoping with the new album, she'll bring back the awesome dancing she did during the MCE years.
Well i'm hoping that too. And as far as her music being more mellow, i was speaking in generalities.

Last edited by puffyrock2; 09-02-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Administrator

I think Puffy made a good point, and that's what concerns me about Alizée having success gaining new fans, especially in the USA. If you are tuned in to her wavelength and if you like her and her music and her voice, then she can still grab your attention and make you a fan for life. But she doesn't have that "wow" factor as much anymore, which seems necessary to attract large groups of people with short attention spans.

She doesn't have a "gimmick" to rely on anymore, like the Lolita thing sort of was, for instance. Personally, that's fine by me, but I'm already a fan. I hate to see her have to resort to doing things that aren't really in her nature just to keep things rolling. I don't think she would anyways. But I believe there are still things within her comfort zone that she can do to draw in new fans and still keep the old ones.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Man Among Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I think Puffy made a good point, and that's what concerns me about Alizée having success gaining new fans, especially in the USA. If you are tuned in to her wavelength and if you like her and her music and her voice, then she can still grab your attention and make you a fan for life. But she doesn't have that "wow" factor as much anymore, which seems necessary to attract large groups of people with short attention spans.

She doesn't have a "gimmick" to rely on anymore, like the Lolita thing sort of was, for instance. Personally, that's fine by me, but I'm already a fan. I hate to see her have to resort to doing things that aren't really in her nature just to keep things rolling. I don't think she would anyways. But I believe there are still things within her comfort zone that she can do to draw in new fans and still keep the old ones.
Yeah, when you see her dancing in the JEAM outfit, it grabs the attention right away and you want to learn more about her. At least, that was the case for me. If, say, the MJ music video or something recent was what i saw of Alizee first, i probably wouldn't be here. Not that there's anything wrong with her recent music or image, she just isn't quite as captivating.

Most of use got hooked to Alizee via her old videos and we're just riding the wave. Those who tune in to what she's doing now might not be interested and look back to the older stuff.

Tags
aam project, alizee, america, canada, promotion, tour