Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road
Default According to Alizée, the early Alizée was an act

Throughout her career, Alizée has made ambiguous statements concerning her Lolita image and the sexualisation of her image. Of course, it is clear that the Lolita image, as seen in her first clip, had nothing to do with the Alizée image. The concept was based on the ambiguity; a timid and innocent teenager in real life sings sexually charged songs while wearing provocative clothes and moving suggestively. The line between the two was blurry and that is what made it work to a certain extent. What was never made clear (as far as I know) is what the young singer actually understood of the whole "Alizée concept"?

Alizée comments on the subject here from 0:30 to 1:00

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HWx5-_FQWiE#t=0m30s" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Translation:
MC(Manu Champagne): [Referring to Moi...Lolita] Was there, or was there not a naïve side to this song?
AJ: At the beginning, yes, of course, and this is what made it work.
MC: Acted, or not?
AJ: Of course!
MC: [I cannot clearly make up the first few words of this sentence] ... you can say it, you knew, you understood the whole thing about this song.
AJ: Yes, but at the same time, that is what made the game, the image, what made it work, maybe. And this is also why I split afterwards. It was because it wasn’t me.
MC: So, it was an act ("un personage").
AJ: Yes.
MC: Clearly?
AJ: Of course, totally.
MC: [laughs]

In this interview on Belgian TV in 2010, Alizée claims that early in her career it was a role she was playing. She admits here that the Alizée concept was just an image. She was not that young innocent adolescent singing sexually charged songs unknowingly; she was just playing the part. She also says that the reason she split (from MF/LB) was because she was not being herself. Note here that "it wasn’t me" ("c’était pas moi") clearly refers to the fact that she was not that naïve singer. This seems to be a new spin on the reason why she separated from MF/LB. It seems Alizée didn’t want to play the naïve part anymore.

Of course, there is nothing mind shattering about such a revelation, but what surprises me is that she would admit today to have been knowingly "deceiving" the public earlier in her career. It is surprising because Alizée knows very well that her fans generally prefer to beleive she was the innocent adolescent that did not fully realize the extent of the sexual content of her early image.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-22-2011 at 12:20 PM..