Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road
Default Press: Tribu move interview

Here's one for the translators. A really nice, long interview in Tribue move, a Parisian gay lifestyle magazine. Big thanks to Emilie at www.nidalizee.com for the scans!

--Edit: Translation by Deepwaters (pages 1-3) and Toc De Mac (pages 4-6)---

[Cover]

The little fairy flies on her own wings!

[First page]

Fairy tales are made to be unmade...

The artistic birth of Alizee begins like a fairy tale: Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat took her from the cradle and made her a glamor-Lolita performing nursery-rhyme pop-dance. In 2000, her hit "Moi ... Lolita" (2.5 million copies sold around the world) was No. 1 in a number of countries (Israel, Japan, Italy, Spain ...) and Alizée was even paid the honor of reaching 9th place in the prestigious and coveted top 40 English. Such infatuation with a French artist had not been seen since "Joe Le Taxi" by Vanessa Paradis (Top 3 in 1987)! Alizéemania is a pure wind of insanity which blows around the world and is contained in the hits and the albums: "L'Alizé" from the album "Gourmandises" (2000), then "J'en ai marre," "J'ai pas vingt ans" and "A countre-courant" from "Mes Courants Electriques" (2003). She ended with a concert tour in 2003-2004, then disappeared ... Her artistic rupture with the duo author-composer-producer Myléne Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat is accomplished and Alizée decides to fly on her own wings! Today, at 23, she is an independent artist and her own producer: she applies the recipes and lessons taught her by Mylène! She took 2 1/2 years to concoct this new album, "Psychédélices," which is a pure concentrate of acid pop with electro-pop and samples of vintage new wave. [Vintage new wave! Urk! I feel so old!]

She is assisted by Jean Fauque (juggler of words, of double meaning and double versions who has written for Bashung, Vanessa Paradis...), Bertrand Burgalat (Christophe Willem, Valérie Lemercier), Kore ("R'n'B Fever"), Oxmo Puccino, Daniel Darc (ex Taxi Girl) & Frederic Lo as well as her pygmalion of a husband [phhht!], Jérémy Chatelain (ex-candidate of "Star Ac' 2"). At the end of January, "Mademoiselle Juliette" will issue on C.D.-Maxi Digipack (9 remixes of which 2 are brand new) and on Maxi 45 Tours Vinyl Picture Disc (8 remixes of which 1 is brand new and Acapella), Limited Edition 1000 copies. Alizée goes over, without taboos, her career, her artistic rupture with Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat, the two and a half years of execution on the new album, her relations with the gay public and her plans for a concert tour in 2008. As she says herself in the introduction to the album (on the Limited Edition C.D.-Digipack): "Fairy tales are made to be unmade...," but Tinkerbell, her guardian angel, still watches over her.

[Second page]

Are "Psychédélices" tastier than the "Gourmandises," with which you lured us in 2000?

(Laughs.) As of today, I will say yes! It's a little strange to say because I adore my two earlier albums, but "Psychédélices" fits me a little more perfectly. It represents the young girl of 23 years which I have become. Perhaps in 3-4 years, a new album will resemble me more and "Psychédélices" a little less ...

A mix of acid pop, rock, vintage new wave with many samples of electro, a cool and colorful universe, warm pastel shades, plays of words and treats ... Is that a good definition of your artistic universe?

It's a little complicated to define my universe. I think that acid pop is the term most exact and most appropriate. I'm also meeting what I did before: the omnipresence of goodies and double meanings. Except that it's not the same person doing it and it doesn't have the same double meanings as Mylène. She and Jean Fauque are the masters of playing with double meanings, for playing with words and always trying to find double versions. This album is an evolution compared to what I did: before, it was more dance. I have encountered many people who brought their own touch, who made many things different and at the same time there is a coherence in the creation of the album. My voice made the cohesion among the titles.

You have said about the single "Mademoiselle Juliette": "I was not able to return with an urban title like "Décollage," so I chose a bridge between the old and the future Alizée." How do you see yourself in several years: an R'n'B diva, an urban singer like Gwen Stafani?

I don't know too much! Myself, I pose myself many questions. But in any case what I do know is that in France, one can't diversify too much, one is always obliged to follow the same path, a certain chemistry. Whereas in the United States, if one takes exactly the example of Gwen Stefani: she weaned herself from her group No Doubt and did punk, then rock and little by little she has gone towards urban thanks to Pharrell Williams ... and at the same time I find this remains very rock & roll. I'm not saying I'm going towards urban, I don't even know if this is urban, electro or rock, but if that's the case, I will mix the genres while seeing if people follow and find themselves there. In France, if one does something opposite to what one did, the people are lost!

I adored your title "Décollage" with the big R'n'B-urban-dancefloor sound concocted by Kore over the lyrics of Oxmo Puccino. Is it a first for Alizée?

To do that, I took coaching from Oxmo Puccino. (Huge laugh.) Elsewhere in the remixes of "Mademoiselle Juliette," I also learned something from a bootleg urban with "Maneater" by Nelly Furtado: the Deefire 2 Remix. For me, Timbaland is the best at the moment. In France, one cannot be a copy, but one can at least take inspiration from another's style and sound. With Kore who created "R'n'B" and who made plenty of different things, I found that the French world turns around R'n'B-rap. Even if one stays in Hip-Hop, at the moment everyone is inspired by the American sound of Pharrell Williams or of Timbaland and the imports into France. In fact, the whole world has its eyes turned and pointed towards them ...

In fact all is recut because you greatly love Gwen Stefani who worked with Timbaland and The Neptunes (Pharrell Williams), Nelly Furtado who collaborated with Timbaland, you love new wave and the last album of Duran Duran was made by Timbaland and Nate "Danja" Hills and finally Madonna prepared her new album with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland.

I know, it's crazy! I think that these people are more avant garde because they added an urban universe which everyone knows to an urban sound which people had never heard before! This holds with many people. For example, Madonna had never done R'n'B in her life and I am sure that will package it very nicely. They knew they were making a sound that everyone could sing.

Have you helped with the big ecumenical mass of Gwen Stefani at Paris-Bercy?

No I missed it because I wasn't there and I wanted so much to see the concert. I was very disappointed!

Have you seen the sewing (?) collection "L.A.M.B."?

Yes, I love everything she does. She possesses at all times a personal and original universe. I admire the way she handles her career, the way that she brings about the things which are in the mode, the music ... it all fits and, above all, in good taste! Good taste isn't easy these days, it isn't given to everyone, and whether one likes her or not, she handles her career like a great professional.

Let's now flash back to the past: How did you endure the whirlwind of media madness regarding the end of your artistic collaboration with Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat? The gay community was very upset for you so can we talk about it?

But no problem!

[Third page]

You have read yourself in the press: "You would be nothing more without them!"

Yes, it's true! I have read and heard that.

That you would be contractually blocked for years with them ...

Yes, but it's false!

How have you lived with all this? Did that not reach you or wound you?

No, it's maybe the fact that it is I who left. It would have been different if they had returned my contracts to me saying they didn't want to work with me any more. If that had been the case, then after all these malicious tricks had been propagated, I think that I would have been six feet underground and in depression. [Note: "six feet underground" is a literal translation - it means, figuratively, "buried" or "dead" in English - does anyone know what it means in French? The English figurative meaning does seem to fit here, so maybe it means the same.] The fact that it was I who wanted to part from them and to go and see and discover new things allowed me to hold out! It may be that people will find that conceited. In any case, I learned many things with Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat. They gave me a lot. If today the gay public is with me, it's by their grace: they were the intermediaries. I am extremely conscious of the luck that I had and that I have! All that I learned, I will have it for always, for all my life. I just wanted to do other things and to take things in hand. I have learned only one way of working: this was in the studio, for the photo sessions, the dances ... I saw how to manage it all and to create myself and I wanted to put it into practice. Before applying the recipes to me, Mylène applied them to herself. I said to myself: I am 20 years old, I am rich with all that she taught me, and now I want to do it for myself. I have the means to produce an album and now I will give myself the means to do what I want, in going to see the people that I appreciate. For me, it was a luxury to be able to choose the people with whom I wanted to collaborate: Daniel Darc ... They all accepted because they had a good image of me. The blow, that justified me in going even further, and above all to forge ahead.

Personally, do you think that you were in a straitjacket, that you were artistically frustrated so to speak, that you had no say ...

No that's not how it was! I told myself more: "What you do musically, if it were not you who sang it, would you listen to it on your iPod?" That was the real question!

You had to bear the evil?

No, because I was amused really! I benefited well from it. When one is an artist, one is likely to be able to sample many different universes.

The first person to whom you sent your new album were Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat. I read in the press that there had been no reply. So, how should this silence be interpreted?

I did not ask myself too many questions! They knew that I was very grateful to them. The least I could do was to send the finished album to them before everyone else, and that is what I did. Personally, I am very proud of my album and I hope that they think good things about it!

I am intrigued by your personality. I know that at root you are shy and reserved. Do you think that you even belong in show-business where it's demanded of artists more and more: the starisation, the peoplisation, tele-reality ...

It is true that I am a bit bothered by all that! I have the impression that I am there to give what I can give, that is to say of the music, the dream, the image ... But today everything is changed because of the collapse of the record market. I have the impression that it is necessary to give more to sell more records, but I am not in agreement with this! I think that if an album is good, then it's good! There are still people who sell thousands of records: Mylène, for starters.

The market is currently glutted, there are too many releases, everyone wants to be on the big media decision-makers (NRJ, T.F.1...) and if you aren't on top you have a bad existence.

Of course, but besides someone like M has never...

[Fourth page]

...played on NRJ and he sold millions of CDs, so there are expcetions and I hope to be one of them! In the end, we'll see..

During your 2003-2004 tour, you were able to see your public face-to-face. People thought that you were a singer for teens, but then they discovered that you have a true gay public?

The truth is that I really had no idea about what kind of crowd I was going to have! I had been singing for four years and they were my first concerts. All of the singers that were around my age had their own audiences, so everyone was asking, "Who is Alizée's audience?" It was very eclectic, but it fit me very well. My songs have double meanings, so kids understood them only so much and others interpreted them in another way. I am very proud to have a broad audience that includes gays. As a matter of fact they are more loyal than others!

Today, your public has grown just as you have. You're going on tour in 2008, so will you adapt yourself to this change and create a different show?

I am currently in the middle of considering that. For the moment I have no idea of what is going to happen, but my album relates so many different things and is so colorful and lively that it couldn't be an acoustic concert. The show will reflect my own evolution! When you look at the sleeve of my latest album, it's different than what I did before, and yet... I'm eating a cake when one of my older albums was called "Gourmandises!"

Since we're talking about sweets, people say that candies have a sensual or even sexual connotation. Do they have a double meaning?

(Lots of laughter) (Note: Alizée acts like a pouting coquine to answer this fundamental question). My two previous albums were precisely focused on double meanings that always had sexual connotations. My latest album is much less so, and all the better! At the same time it's Jean Fauque who wrote the lyrics, so it's not the same pen (style) as Mylène.

Aren't you a fan of "Desperate Housewive," because there are many veiled references to the series: Wisteria Song, Wisteria Studio, and in the lyrics of "Lilly Town" we find Bree Van De Kamp?

I'm a huge fan of the series's image and I'd like to make a clip that resembles it! It's also the image of one of Nicole Kidman's films: The Stepford Wives.

Is Bree your favorite character of the series?

Absolutely. I also like Susan Mayer, but Bree is so charismatic and Marcia Cross, the actress who plays her, is the best actress!

Do you know which Desperate Housewife the most gays would vote for?

Gabrielle Solis (laughs). Since she slept with her teenage gardener! (Lots of laughter).

Still talking about "Lilly Town," is there a reference to the gays?

Yes, I sing, "Et chaque soir des hommes - Qui jouent aux dames." (Lots of laughter). I found it really subtle on Jean Fauque's part to have integrated this phrase because I really love it and it goes really well with the song. It's slight and funny!

[Fifth page]

You are 23 years old, so how can you love so much of this new wave?

I was born in 1984. I still remember the very particular sounds which were used in the 80s when I was only a kid.

What groups or artists have made an impression on you?

I grew up with Madonna from 1984 to 1990 and I still remember "Like a Prayer." It sums up my childhood, because it's the kind of music that I listened to with headphones like her album "True Blue" with "La Isla Bonita," "Papa Don't Preach..." By the way, I'll let you in on a little something, I put "Papa Don't Preach: as my ringtone on my cellphone when my dad calls me. (Laughs). For me, the eighties belonged to Madonna. After that, I really liked Depeche Mode... But in my album, I was not only influenced by the 90s, there's also the 70s with Simon & Garfunkel...

One also feels the influence of The Cure in the song written and composed by Daniel Darc and Frédéric Lo: "Lonely List."

At the same time, it's very German in its sounds. It's a rather somber song which, at the same time, resembles me. Even if I have la joie de vivre and I have a lot of fun, I have days like everyone else where things aren't right. My life isn't like EuroDisney every day! This song reveals my melancholy, nostalgic, and sad side!

You end your thanks by saying, "Thanks to Mylène and Laurent without whom the fairy tale would have never began." When you open the Digipack Limited Edition, there is marked, "Fairy tales are made to be undone." What were you trying to say?

(Huge laughter). It's a very pretty phrase! It's a little like the beginning of this album's story: if I had never undone my personal fairy tale with Mylène and Laurent, it would have never been born. Before listening to the album, you have to read this phrase!

There are other double meanings about the past in the album. Was it intentional?

No, but Jean Fauque couldn't keep himself away from them! (Laughs).

In "Mademoiselle Juliette," you say, "Mademoiselle takes wings - Don't smash herself to bits - In her role she only wants her - No replicas in the whole piece." Is it a reference to your own past?

We didn't do it in that spirit! When one sings a song written by someone else, whether it be Mylène or Jean Fauque, one discovers months after yet other interpretations, and one says to oneself, "Neat, I never thought it could be interpreted like that!" So, indeed, months after I realized that it could perhaps be wrongly interpreted, but at the same time, I really like this song.

In "Jamais Plus," you say, "Hier nevermore - But yesterday was wrong - Today, do you see - It's never more - To forget that I love - It happens without trying - It has quickly disappeared - And never more."

It's just a song about a love story. You see vice everywhere! (Laughs).

It could also be a farewell letter!

Yeah, if you want, but it's rather a farewell letter to a guy... (Laughs).

Let's talk about the clip of "Mademoiselle Juliette," you embark into a lewd and decadent 18th century universe. What's the story behind it?

Indeed, I arrive at this château as a visitor. At the heart of it, in "Romeo and Juliet," there are two families: the Montagues and the Capulets. I didn't want to relate the ordinary story of their battle, so the families are represented by two colors: white and black.

[Sixth page]

Juliet doesn't want to chose between the two and at the end, she is no longer just one.

The clip is tendentious [How's that for a untranslatable word?] and sexy, you are surrounded by female dancers and there is a sort of unrestrained sexuality. Is this a reference to lesbianism?

In the song, Juliet doesn't care at all about her man, and what she wants to do is have a great time. Guys are therefore excluded. There are only girls who are partying, so you can indeed imagine things. It's not explicit, people can interpret it as they wish. I like when people adapt the story to fit themselves or find their story. The last time I met a gay guy, he told me that he could relate to one of my songs called "Lui ou Toi" (Note: included on the album "Gourmandises") which speaks of a girl who doesn't know how to choose between two guys. It could have been a girl who told me that, heh, but no, it was a guy! (Laughs). Things must always be done subtlely in the clip so that people can have their own interpretations...

How many tatoos do you have?

I have a salamander on my ankle and the big one on my back.

Is it the famous Tinkerbell that we find everywhere at your house and follows you around?

(Laughs). I think that she's my guardian angel. I had her tatooed on my back, so I don't see her and can't grow weary of her. I glimpse her only when I get out of the bath. She's a character that I have always liked ever since I was little, firstly because she is kind and discrete. She seems to be like me from time to time! She is a little of what I am.

I saw that a fan had your image tatooed on his back. That didn't frighten you?

A little, I must admit! It's me with Tinkerbell's wings.

Like you, Lorie has a teen and a gay audience, she is independent today and is her own producer. Is there a sort of parallel between your careers?

I heard her single "Je vais vite" but not the album. It's very Kylie, but one must love her as well as Madonna. Anyways, I love Kylie's latest album, "X," and the 80's sleeve speaks to me greatly. Lorie, like myself as well as all of the other young girls who launched their careers at the same time as us, today we are growing up, we are changing, and we do not do the same things. People always talk about the US, we all prove that people can do different things in France.

Do you have a special message for our readers through our humble middleman?

They can write to me on my Myspace (Note: www.myspace.com/alizeeofficiel) because I receive many messages. I read all of them, but I can't respond to everyone. I even try to accept them as friends. I think all of them because they have wished me much. Between the moment where I ended my tour and the release of this album, the time was great. I put two and a half years to do it and when one is inside too much, one doesn't see anything else and one doesn't know if what one is doing is good or not. The fact that I received so many messages made me feel like going even further, it gave me ideas, to do things and that an interpretation was needed for such a public so as not to lose it, same with the image... I hope that they liked the album or that they will like it, but above all I thank them for having waited for me!

Last edited by Ben; 01-20-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM

marik is on a distinguished road

hey thanks for that Snatcher! awesome! thanks to Emilie aswell.....
Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
star traveller

-MihaiL- is on a distinguished road

Thank you, it will be a great reading.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 AM
J'ai Pas Vingt Ans

Lindgren is on a distinguished road

Thanks Snatcher
Old 01-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road
Default Translation part 1

[Cover:]

The little fairy flies on her own wings!

[First page]

Fairy tales are made to be unmade . . .

The artistic birth of Alizee begins like a fairy tale: Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat took her from the cradle and made her a glamor-Lolita performing nursery-rhyme pop-dance. In 2000, her hit "Moi ... Lolita" (2.5 million copies sold around the world) was No. 1 in a number of countries (Israel, Japan, Italy, Spain ...) and Alizée was even paid the honor of reaching 9th place in the prestigious and coveted top 40 English. Such infatuation with a French artist had not been seen since "Joe Le Taxi" by Vanessa Paradis (Top 3 in 1987)! Alizéemania is a pure wind of insanity which blows around the world and is contained in the hits and the albums: "L'Alizé" from the album "Gourmandises" (2000), then "J'en ai marre," "J'ai pas vingt ans" and "A countre-courant" from "Mes Courants Electriques" (2003). She ended with a concert tour in 2003-2004, then disappeared ... Her artistic rupture with the duo author-composer-producer Myléne Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat is accomplished and Alizée decides to fly on her own wings! Today, at 23, she is an independent artist and her own producer: she applies the recipes and lessons taught her by Mylène! She took 2 1/2 years to concoct this new album, "Psychédélices," which is a pure concentrate of acid pop with electro-pop and samples of vintage new wave. [Vintage new wave! Urk! I feel so old!]

She is assisted by Jean Fauque (juggler of words, of double meaning and double versions who has written for Bashung, Vanessa Paradis...), Bertrand Burgalat (Christophe Willem, Valérie Lemercier), Kore ("R'n'B Fever"), Oxmo Puccino, Daniel Darc (ex Taxi Girl) & Frederic Lo as well as her pygmalion of a husband [phhht!], Jérémy Chatelain (ex-candidate of "Star Ac' 2"). At the end of January, "Mademoiselle Juliette" will issue on C.D.-Maxi Digipack (9 remixes of which 2 are brand new) and on Maxi 45 Tours Vinyl Picture Disc (8 remixes of which 1 is brand new and Acapella), Limited Edition 1000 copies. Alizée goes over, without taboos, her career, her artistic rupture with Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat, the two and a half years of execution on the new album, her relations with the gay public and her plans for a concert tour in 2008. As she says herself in the introduction to the album (on the Limited Edition C.D.-Digipack): "Fairy tales are made to be unmade...," but Tinkerbell, her guardian angel, still watches over her.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Wow thats awesome thanks alot!

All you need is 1 Truck.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road
Default Translation page 2

Are "Psychédélices" tastier than the "Gourmandises," with which you lured us in 2000?

(Laughs.) As of today, I will say yes! It's a little strange to say because I adore my two earlier albums, but "Psychédélices" fits me a little more perfectly. It represents the young girl of 23 years which I have become. Perhaps in 3-4 years, a new album will resemble me more and "Psychédélices" a little less ...

A mix of acid pop, rock, vintage new wave with many samples of electro, a cool and colorful universe, warm pastel shades, plays of words and treats ... Is that a good definition of your artistic universe?

It's a little complicated to define my universe. I think that acid pop is the term most exact and most appropriate. I'm also meeting what I did before: the omnipresence of goodies and double meanings. Except that it's not the same person doing it and it doesn't have the same double meanings as Mylène. She and Jean Fauque are the masters of playing with double meanings, for playing with words and always trying to find double versions. This album is an evolution compared to what I did: before, it was more dance. I have encountered many people who brought their own touch, who made many things different and at the same time there is a coherence in the creation of the album. My voice made the cohesion among the titles.

You have said about the single "Mademoiselle Juliette": "I was not able to return with an urban title like "Décollage," so I chose a bridge between the old and the future Alizée." How do you see yourself in several years: an R'n'B diva, an urban singer like Gwen Stafani?

I don't know too much! Myself, I pose myself many questions. But in any case what I do know is that in France, one can't diversify too much, one is always obliged to follow the same path, a certain chemistry. Whereas in the United States, if one takes exactly the example of Gwen Stefani: she weaned herself from her group No Doubt and did punk, then rock and little by little she has gone towards urban thanks to Pharrell Williams ... and at the same time I find this remains very rock & roll. I'm not saying I'm going towards urban, I don't even know if this is urban, electro or rock, but if that's the case, I will mix the genres while seeing if people follow and find themselves there. In France, if one does something opposite to what one did, the people are lost!

I adored your title "Décollage" with the big R'n'B-urban-dancefloor sound concocted by Kore over the lyrics of Oxmo Puccino. Is it a first for Alizée?

To do that, I took coaching from Oxmo Puccino. (Huge laugh.) Elsewhere in the remixes of "Mademoiselle Juliette," I also learned something from a bootleg urban with "Maneater" by Nelly Furtado: the Deefire 2 Remix. For me, Timbaland is the best at the moment. In France, one cannot be a copy, but one can at least take inspiration from another's style and sound. With Kore who created "R'n'B" and who made plenty of different things, I found that the French world turns around R'n'B-rap. Even if one stays in Hip-Hop, at the moment everyone is inspired by the American sound of Pharrell Williams or of Timbaland and the imports into France. In fact, the whole world has its eyes turned and pointed towards them ...

In fact all is recut because you greatly love Gwen Stefani who worked with Timbaland and The Neptunes (Pharrell Williams), Nelly Furtado who collaborated with Timbaland, you love new wave and the last album of Duran Duran was made by Timbaland and Nate "Danja" Hills and finally Madonna prepared her new album with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland.

I know, it's crazy! I think that these people are more avant garde because they added an urban universe which everyone knows to an urban sound which people had never heard before! This holds with many people. For example, Madonna had never done R'n'B in her life and I am sure that will package it very nicely. They knew they were making a sound that everyone could sing.

Have you helped with the big ecumenical mass of Gwen Stefani at Paris-Bercy?

No I missed it because I wasn't there and I wanted so much to see the concert. I was very disappointed!

Have you seen the sewing (?) collection "L.A.M.B."?

Yes, I love everything she does. She possesses at all times a personal and original universe. I admire the way she handles her career, the way that she brings about the things which are in the mode, the music ... it all fits and, above all, in good taste! Good taste isn't easy these days, it isn't given to everyone, and whether one likes her or not, she handles her career like a great professional.

Let's now flash back to the past: How did you endure the whirlwind of media madness regarding the end of your artistic collaboration with Mylène Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat? The gay community was very upset for you so can we talk about it?

But no problem!

[Things to do, I'll get back to this in a few hours.]

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Fourth page:

...never played on NRJ and he sold millions of CDs, so there are expcetions and I hope to be one of them! In the end, we'll see..

During your 2003-2004 tour, you were able to see your public face-to-face. People thought that you were a singer for teens, but then they discovered that you have a true gay public?

The truth is that I really had no idea about what kind of crowd I was going to have! I had been singing for four years and they were my first concerts. All of the singers that were around my age had their own audiences, so everyone was asking, "Who is Alizée's audience?" It was very eclectic, but it fit me very well. My songs have double meanings, so kids understood them only so much and others interpreted them in another way. I am very proud to have a broad audience that includes gays. As a matter of fact they are more loyal than others!

Today, your public has grown just as you have. You're going on tour in 2008, so will you adapt yourself to this change and create a different show?

I am currently in the middle of considering that. For the moment I have no idea of what is going to happen, but my album relates so many different things and is so colorful and lively that it couldn't be an acoustic concert. The show will reflect my own evolution! When you look at the sleeve of my latest album, it's different than what I did before, and yet... I'm eating a cake when one of my older albums was called "Gourmandises!"

Since we're talking about sweets, people say that candies have a sensual or even sexual connotation. Do they have a double meaning?

(Lots of laughter) (Note: Alizée acts like a pouting coquine to answer this fundamental question). My two previous albums were precisely focused on double meanings that always had sexual connotations. My latest album is much less so, and all the better! At the same time it's Jean Fauque who wrote the lyrics, so it's not the same pen (style) as Mylène.

Aren't you a fan of "Desperate Housewive," because there are many veiled references to the series: Wisteria Song, Wisteria Studio, and in the lyrics of "Lilly Town" we find Bree Van De Kamp?

I'm a huge fan of the series's image and I'd like to make a clip that resembles it! It's also the image of one of Nicole Kidman's films: The Stepford Wives.

Is Bree your favorite character of the series?

Absolutely. I also like Susan Mayer, but Bree is so charismatic and Marcia Cross, the actress who plays her, is the best actress!

Do you know which Desperate Housewife the most gays would vote for?

Gabrielle Solis (laughs). Since she slept with her teenage gardener! (Lots of laughter).

Still talking about "Lilly Town," is there a reference to the gays?

Yes, I sing, "Et chaque soir des hommes - Qui jouent aux dames." (Lots of laughter). I found it really subtle on Jean Fauque's part to have integrated this phrase because I really love it and it goes really well with the song. It's slight and funny!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Wow, this is shaping up to be the best interview yet by far. They actually talk to Alizée on a level she can relate to and get involved with - that of music styles, trends, artists, etc. Awesome.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Wow, this is shaping up to be the best interview yet by far. They actually talk to Alizée on a level she can relate to and get involved with - that of music styles, trends, artists, etc. Awesome.
Yes ! Finally someone is asking the questions I've wanted answered.