Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road
Cool Melissa Mars

There's been a lot of talk about Melissa Mars cropping up lately (this clip that AC posted, the stuff from Mozart that Jess shared, not to mention one of our own easter eggs), so I thought I'd start a thread about my favorite French singer after Alizée and Mylene Farmer. Melissa also recently joined twitter, so if any of this piques your interest, follow along at: http://twitter.com/marsmelissa

I actually discovered Melissa Mars in early 2006 when I saw she was having shows at the Théâtre des Déchargeurs in Paris at the same time I'd be there for Mylene's concerts at Bercy. And I'd say live is definitley the best way to experience Mars, as she brought down the house in one of the best shows I've ever seen. This is what my friend wrote about it: "I gotta say i was doubtful about her before going to the concert but afterwards i'm very happy that Ben dragged us to it. It was really cool, the songs were better than on the albums (much more rock) and the show was great with its lights and stuff." Plus, the small (50 or so person) venue meant she was able to hang around afterward to meet everyone.

Melissa has a cool, dark Tim Burton-esque thing going on in her three albums, all of them conceptual, and is also in the cast of the upcoming French Mozart Rock Opera. My favorite disc is her second, La reine des abeilles (The Queen of the Bees), but they're all good. Songs to check out include Papa m'aime pas (her first hit) and Et Alors! (the title track) from her first album; Dead Sunday, Apocalips (new version), and Dans ma Bulle Antisismique from number two; and Army of Love, Marsmallow, and Love Machine from the more recent "À la recherche de l'amour perdu" (In search of lost love). There should be a lot more cool Marsien stuff coming soon!

Edit:

Here's an EPK I dug up that tells the story of Melissa's second album. It's one of my favorite videos .

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://alizeeamerica.com/player_flv/player_flv.swf" width="576" height="452"> <param name="movie" value="http://alizeeamerica.com/player_flv/player_flv.swf" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="FlashVars" value="flv=http%3A//media.alizeeamerica.com/mm.f4v&amp;title=Melissa Mars - La Reine des abeilles EPK&amp;width=576&amp;height=452&amp;volume=50&amp ;margin=0&amp;showvolume=1&amp;showtime=1&amp;show player=always&amp;showloading=always&amp;showfulls creen=1" /> </object>

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

I have quite a few videos of her, just from "Mozart L'Opera Rock" I have at least 15 videos. I don't know if anyone here can see them though. Here's a better version of that animation video... Thanks to Spirit !!
<object height="480" width="853">

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5558401&server=vimeo.com&sho w_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00AD EF&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="480" width="853"></object>
Melissa Mars - Army Of Love Animated from Jessmonde on Vimeo.

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Century Child

Thanks Jess! I switched the video in my post to the English version for some variety.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

That's cool Ben !! But I can't believe you didn't mention "1980" on her list, that's one of my early favorites...

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 07-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Century Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
That's cool Ben !! But I can't believe you didn't mention "1980" on her list, that's one of my early favorites...
*cough* easter egg *cough cough*
Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Not threadcrapping, but i listened to a couple tunes and she's alright, sounds like decent pop. "Love Machine" stands out.

However, the live performances i've seen have been quite rough.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Century Child

What did you see, Puffy? Once I'm home I'll upload a video I think you'll like that shows her darker side. It's interesting you described it as "decent pop", because while that's kinda true for the third album, when I discovered her during the "La reine des abeilles" era her image owed more to the likes of NIN or Marylin Manson (but more glamorous). I've also found that she's an acquired taste for most. Like my friend said, I kinda had to drag them to her concert, but they all became converts after that.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

Heh. Nice sig there ben.

It has a nice... balance
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Im a 100% Sone

Srbski-kralj is on a distinguished road

Jungster brought her into my attention, i have to say one beautiful wimen and her voice is also magical.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
What did you see, Puffy? Once I'm home I'll upload a video I think you'll like that shows her darker side. It's interesting you described it as "decent pop", because while that's kinda true for the third album, when I discovered her during the "La reine des abeilles" era her image owed more to the likes of NIN or Marylin Manson (but more glamorous). I've also found that she's an acquired taste for most. Like my friend said, I kinda had to drag them to her concert, but they all became converts after that.
There was one in particular Jung showed me where she was doing a duet. I've only heard her new stuff, perhaps i'll like the old stuff more.