Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road
Default Junkmale answers thread

1. Explain your name "Junkmale"

Junkmale comes from my favourite song by Carter USM. It's a fairly obscure demo track. It's a song about getting old and feeling useless. Looking back on your lifes achievements (or lack of them!). If you find another Junkmale on the WWW anywhere there is a good chance it's me. It is as you might suspect a pun on junk-mail.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HzyH2y1Fm5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Dale Farm plain vanilla.

3. What is your favorite color?

Black. 'I wear black on the outside because black is how i feel on the inside'. Someone said that once. Can't remember who?

Last edited by Junkmale; 05-17-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM

4. In that country across the pound called the UK ... why do you guys talk so funny? ... ok im joking m8 dont answer that (i do have quite a few British friends and its always constant pulling each others legs about minor differences in our cultures lol) .... REAL question: Being from Europe what do you love most about your amazing continent and why?

Umm...difficult one for me. Politically i am very right wing. I don't buy into the whole Euro thing at all. If i had my way the UK would never have joined the EU and would now leave it as soon as possible. I'm all for friendly relations and trade agreements with my European neighbours but it ends there.
The European Union is a disaster. What have i possibly got in common with an Estonian (no offence intended to any Estonians here :-)). The richer countries (i.e. us) are only shouldering the debts of the poorer countries (i.e. Greece and the Republic of Ireland).
Unfettered immigration. Loss of sovereignty, national identity etc etc.
Nope, not for me.
Rant over :-)

5. What is your job/career?

Nothing at the moment. I had to take early ill health retirement about 6 years ago. Before that i spent 25 years in a mind numbingly boring clerical job with the Northern Ireland Civil Service. Hoping to start some voluntary charity work soon.

Last edited by Junkmale; 05-18-2012 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM

6. Describe a general day in the life of Junkmale...

Not very exiting i'm afraid. I'm not married and live alone. I tend to go to bed late and therefore get up late. Most days i try to see my Mum at least once just to make sure she is ok and to see if there is anything she needs (there always is!). I take the dog for a walk and feed and exercise my 2 pet Degu's. Practice some drumming. Watch TV. Otherwise just do normal household chores.

7. Ali G, Borat, or Bruno?

None of the above? I haven't watched Bruno so can't comment on it but not a fan....sorry!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM

8.I believe you were once in a band. What was that experience like for you?

I was indeed in a punk band in the late 70's/early 80's and i've helped out now and again with a few bands since then.
Bit of a mixed experience really. It was a lot of fun for a while but ended badly unfortunately. Belfast then was a pretty depressing place to live (not much changed there!) and the punk 'movement' really did an awful lot to bring young people together.
We had a fairly big local following but it all ended in tears. I haven't seen or spoken to anyone from the band in over 30 years now which is a pity but......
You'll find me mentioned here a few times....

http://nipunk.weebly.com/

9.What instruments do you play, and have you kept it up?

I play drums and yes i still play and try to practice most days. Just for my own enjoyment now.
I also play bass guitar (badly).

Last edited by Junkmale; 06-03-2012 at 08:41 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 AM

10.Where have you traveled and what's you favorite place to visit?

I've travelled quite a bit over the years. If i can remember correctly (in no particular order)
Canada, USA (spent 1 day in Seattle), Spain, France, Russia, Portugal, Czech Republic (several times), Republic of Ireland and throughout the rest of the UK.
I thought Vancouver Island was pretty special but Czech Republic is my favourite place. I love it there. It feels like i've come 'home' whenever i step of the plane. If i was younger/healthier/richer i would consider moving there permanently...alas....
Loads of places i'd still like to visit. Love to visit New York and Japan.

11.Favorite singer?

Difficult one. There are lots i like. For an ageing old punk my taste is pretty wide these days. The only thing i can't listen to is rap/hip-hop or death metal really. It would be easy to say Ewa as she has changed my life in so many ways but for purity of voice it has to be the late, great Karen Carpenter. Don't think there will ever be anyone like her ever again.

12.What's your favorite food/meal?

I'm on a pretty restricted diet because of my illness but i'm pretty keen on Chinese food. It has to be plain for me now and veg and the like has to mashed. Czech Goolash with dumplings is pretty good.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 PM

13. Do people where you live try to imitate american accents the way we try to imitate british accents all the time?

Not really tbh. Accents are strange things. If you met me you would find in very difficult to understand me. I speak with a very broad North Belfast accent. But then people who live about 10 miles from me have a completely different way of speaking?
It's hard to know what American's view as a typical British accent? I would imagine it's a posh English Hugh Grant type of thing? I speak nothing like Hugh Grant!! :-)
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

Think of Austin Powers....thats what most Americans think most British sound like.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Have you ever heard of Altan? What do you think of them and their style of music?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Have you ever heard of Altan? What do you think of them and their style of music?
Never heard of them i'm afraid?
From Youtube they seem to be some sort of Irish folk thing?
I know nothing about that sort of music. Sorry!

Edit:

14. What's the funniest/weirdest situation you've ever been in?

I think probably something that happened many years ago when i was crossing the border from the US back into Canada.
I was chatting politely to the bloke on the immigration desk (as you do). He happened to mention that he liked my shirt. Being the pleasant chap that i am i told him that it wouldn't be a problem sending him a similar shirt if he really wanted one? His reply of 'Are you trying to bride me?' came as a bit of a shock!
I tried to explain to him that i had no reason to bribe him as i'd nothing to hide and had done nothing wrong but to no avail.
About 4 hours later and after being questioned by about 6 different people and being strip searched (i kid you not) i finally was on my way. I'm still waiting on an apology and have never worn that particular shirt again :-)

15. What's the meaning of your avatar/flag? I never seen it before.

It's the Northern Ireland flag. Where i live.

Last edited by Junkmale; 06-17-2012 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post

15. What's the meaning of your avatar/flag? I never seen it before.

It's the Northern Ireland flag. Where i live.

I feel a little bit stupid now, I should know that... Thanks for the answer