Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road
Default Alizée Fandomness

I've been searching the forums for a thread like this, and not having found one, here goes.

I've wanted to be able to discuss some of the aspects of being a fan. I've found it can be a complicated experience, not that it has to be. I hope to occasionally post thoughts and ideas about fandom and learn about other fans' experiences as well. Many aspects of it can be personal but some may be universal.

Edit:

This evening I was visiting some friends and one of those entertainment shows was on, where they interview celebrities and spread gossip, etc. They were interviewing a English speaking recording artist who is preparing to go on tour. I have no interest in the artist, the music, or the tour, but I noticed that I immediately understood what was being said, and picked up on all the gestures and meanings, and context. That doesn't happen to me with Alizée interviews. It made me realize how much I fail to interpret from her interviews, even with translations. I think it helps extend some of the mystery that surrounds her to me. Even though so much about her is evident from reading about her and from translations. Of course we (think we) perceive so much insight into her personality from watching her in interviews and on programs, and even from how she interacts with the spectators while performing. I still felt tonight that the language/culture barrier may be either blocking or clouding a more complete 'understanding' of Alizée to me.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 11-13-2012 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

I think that hardest part of being a fan of hers is when you're not French or even European people around you can't understand why your a fan. Mostly due to the fact she really doesn't speak or sing in English as well they have no idea who she is or what she is singing about. After eight years my employees look at my affection and loyalty towards her during these many years and that has them totally baffled.

Yesterday my general manager needed to get something out of my desk and I had the laptop running and she noticed Alizée on my wallpaper. She didn't know I was walking the office right behind her. It's the new picture for the new album which is up on the home page. It was interesting to see her look up and take notice of Alizée looking at the picture for a few seconds. It wasn't just a glance it was a three to four second look which in itself got my attention.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
I think that hardest part of being a fan of hers is when you're not French or even European people around you can't understand why your a fan.
they cant understand when you are European too

Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Last Fan Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
I think that hardest part of being a fan of hers is when you're not French or even European people around you can't understand why your a fan. Mostly due to the fact she really doesn't speak or sing in English as well they have no idea who she is or what she is singing about. After eight years my employees look at my affection and loyalty towards her during these many years and that has them totally baffled.
That is partly true for me too. I don't normally share very much with others, and the people I'm around regularly really wouldn't understand me being a fan of Alizée, partly for the language differences but also on so many other levels. One coworker is in on it but still doesn't get it. I don't really get it either, I've been trying to figure it out for six months. I've been making an effort to stop trying to understand it and to just play along. So far, so... eh.

My boss has convinced himself that I'm listening to country on my headphones. The random French words I throw around really has him confused.

Anyway I think it's great that this community exists.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Last Fan Standing

In another topic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
I think it would be amazing if Alizée did a cover of this.. she might be an angel to many of us but she's still human after all.
This is another aspect of fandomness that I'm dealing with. Yes, she's a human like everyone else. I know that, and I try to remember that. But sometimes (often) when I'm not paying attention I find that I forget. I'm having trouble coming up with a description for it. I suppose it's just that phenomenon that can happen when a celebrity affects a person. And it's new to me. It's somewhat ironic, because I've given more than one friend a hard time when they do similar things. I've always thought I had an open mind but I keep finding how much of what people do and think depends on viewpoints and experiences. In fact, I've re-evaluated so many conclusions about the world and life "because" of Alizée. I'd better stop now before this gets any weirder.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM

swagboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
In another topic...

This is another aspect of fandomness that I'm dealing with. Yes, she's a human like everyone else. I know that, and I try to remember that. But sometimes (often) when I'm not paying attention I find that I forget. I'm having trouble coming up with a description for it. I suppose it's just that phenomenon that can happen when a celebrity affects a person. And it's new to me. It's somewhat ironic, because I've given more than one friend a hard time when they do similar things. I've always thought I had an open mind but I keep finding how much of what people do and think depends on viewpoints and experiences. In fact, I've re-evaluated so many conclusions about the world and life "because" of Alizée. I'd better stop now before this gets any weirder.
One tip, don't let yourself get dragged in too deep. It could cause implications in your future life. Just keep it in moderation, as a hobby.

If you do feel you're getting dragged in too deep, delete everything (or store it on a harddrive, and place it somewhere out of sight, if you think deleting the harddrive is too severe) that is related to Alizée.

The person who came up with "Out of sight, out of mind" has a good point.

PS: The first few weeks (maybe even months) might be hard, but it will help you in the long run.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Last Fan Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagboy View Post
One tip, don't let yourself get dragged in too deep. It could cause implications in your future life. Just keep it in moderation, as a hobby.
Ooops, Well, once again I jumbled things up and was vague in a post. Sometimes while I'm driving or busy at work I'll think up a wonderful post that flows and is concise, then when I get some time to log in to the forum I can't recreate the brilliance. Many times I don't try but I was inspired today by Un-rêve's post.

I think I may have been misunderstood. Maybe not. I said
Quote:
I suppose it's just that phenomenon that can happen when a celebrity affects a person. ... It's somewhat ironic, because I've given more than one friend a hard time when they do similar things.
And was thinking about something like how professional sports players become legends and heros and such, and how fans talk of their favorite teams as 'us' and 'we'. The athlete becomes more that just a human to some. I'm not into any kind of sports so when people around me discuss recent games and almost take things personally I'd give them a hard time. But I understand that now and have become (slightly) more sympathetic.

I've got this trait where I tend to over analyze and if I'm not talking I'm thinking. And when I am talking I don't think. My boss heard the term once 'analysis paralysis' and now he applies it to me often. It's ok, that's what happens. Without getting into too many details, for years I've wasted a lot of free time fighting myself. I've yet to figure out how my discovery of Alizée nearly seven months ago put an immediate end to that, and in fact I've stopped 'thinking' about that. But all that stopped and I'm perfectly fine being who I am, who I've always been, and I'm grateful to her for that. Something for which she did nothing more than just be herself.

I decided I needed to pay her back so I bought a copy of each of the albums, and En Concert CD and the DVD, and I've got most of the Les Enfoires DVDs from the years she participated. I try to keep active on the forum to keep topics going so we don't forget her. And I try to keep an open mind about the things she does and wish her the best. That's all. Really, that's it.

And I worry that when it ends (all of my distractions always end) things will go back to the old ways for me so I'm trying to keep all this relevant and interesting to hold off the inevitable. When I first joined here more than one person said things like 'enjoy your time here' and I realize that many people have come and gone before me.

I probably should have just edited my earlier post and left all this out. But I was envisioning the AAm intervention team coordinating behind the scenes!

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 11-18-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM

swagboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
Ooops, Well, once again I jumbled things up and was vague in a post. Sometimes while I'm driving or busy at work I'll think up a wonderful post that flows and is concise, then when I get some time to log in to the forum I can't recreate the brilliance. Many times I don't try but I was inspired today by Un-rêve's post.

I think I may have been misunderstood. Maybe not. I said
It's just a general tip I like to give people, it's not directed towards you personally
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Jenny_HRO87 is on a distinguished road

The hardest part of being her fan is getting disappointed very often in these last years, crying over cancelled concerts and missed autograph sessions (because your mother told you quite angrily that she would prefer that you'd spend your holiday with her instead of doing another road trip to France and later your realise that this was one of the worst decisions in your life) and end up heartbroken and you still love her so much that even if it wasn't a easy life for Alizée fans since the cancelled Grand Rex concert you would never let her down because she made your life so much better and because of her you met great people and did trips to France you never even thought you would ever do. And what ever is going to happen and even if you sometimes think "Come on Alizée sort your stuff out you can do better" you'd always get angry if someone says "Why don't you just stop being her fan" because people just don't understand.

I kinda lost track what I wanted to say but I'll post it anyway. Bye.
And all I see is life, life in a beautiful light."
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Last Fan Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagboy View Post
It's just a general tip I like to give people, it's not directed towards you personally
And a fine tip it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_HRO87 View Post
I kinda lost track what I wanted to say but I'll post it anyway. Bye.
That happens to me all the time. Sometimes I just log out and don't even post what I had planned to.

I think that many aspects of being a fan can be very personal things, and vary greatly from one fan to another. One thing that Jenny's post reminds me of is something I had thought about once. Since I just recently discovered Alizée I missed out on years of the good times, and some of the not always so good times. But then again I got four albums, all the videos on Youtube, and the new single all at one time. I never had to wait for delayed releases (I'm waiting now though!) or any of the frustrations that so many other fans have had to deal with. I think I'd have rather known about her long ago and been able to enjoy the gift I got from her instead of being overloaded all at once and arriving late. But the past is over. The future is promising. Enough for now...

Tags
fan experiences