Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

My guess is it's some sort of kabbalah thing, like the bracelets or hamsa hand she's been seen to wear. The letters don't mean anything to me, though I haven't studied Hebrew since elementary school, and would need to see a better picture. In terms of a person it could really be anyone, since Jewish names don't always correspond to English (mine's "חַיִים", nowhere close to "Ben").
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
My guess is it's some sort of kabbalah thing, like the bracelets or hamsa hand she's been seen to wear.
Maybe, but Ben, I've studied the Kabbalah (which is why I know the Hebrew alphabet) and I don't know of anything in it consisting of those three letters and a heart. So I kind of doubt it.

Of course the picture's not that clear and I could be misreading the whole thing. That might not even be a heart. So maybe you're right.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Hypebeast

Plaz is on a distinguished road

im not an expert when it comes jewish stuff... but i remember my friend telling me not to get my bro's names tattoed along the insides of my fingers (5 younger bro's... one name on each finger) in hebrew because it goes against what jews believe in?

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Plaz; 01-29-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Do we have anybody here who is Jewish, or is fluent in Hebrew? Maybe they can tell us what they think it means. My friend Jake is Jewish, I'll ask him.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Century Child

Fall, I'm Jewish and know a little Hebrew (not fluent), but still can't really tell you what it means. There could be more letters around the curve of her wrist or behind the watch, and even in what we do see I'm not sure if it's three or four. Could start with an alef or shin like like Deep said, but also maybe a mem or tet followed by something else (nun, vav, zayin...). Would really need a better picture. And even then would probably still be unsure of the meaning, because of what I said above about Jewish names. I'm not too interested in going all Sherlock Holmes on it anyway. It's a tat, in hebrew, probably something personal. That's all I really need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
im not an expert when it comes jewish stuff... but i remember my friend telling me not to get my bro's names tattoed along the insides of my fingers (5 younger bro's... one name on each finger) in hebrew because it goes against what jews believe in?
Heh that's true, piercings too, but you'll find plenty who disagree. Like this dude.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hah! that's hilarious lol
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Ben, are you saying that tatoos and piercings in general are against Jewish law? I wasn't aware of that.

Of course, Alizée isn't Jewish, she's nominally Catholic and practices . . . something we don't know about in detail, and obviously has no moral qualms about getting tatoos or, in the past, piercings.

Edit: I'm REAL sure that one of the two letters we can see clearly is a Heh. The other one could be either a Vav or a Nun. I can't tell what the first one is (the one on the right). I thought originally a Shem or Aleph, but now I think the shadow from her watch might be distorting it. If it's a Yod instead, which it could be if that dark patch that I thought was part of the letter is instead the watch shadow, and if there are no other letters, that's where I'd get Johan.

Can't be sure of this of course. Next time I see her I'll ask for a closer look.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716

Last edited by Deepwaters; 01-29-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Century Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I'm REAL sure that one of the two letters we can see clearly is a Heh. The other one could be either a Vav or a Nun. I can't tell what the first one is (the one on the right).
Definitely correct about the last two, but I think there could be two letters to the right of them, not one. Making the total visable four instead of three.

Quote:
Ben, are you saying that tatoos and piercings in general are against Jewish law? I wasn't aware of that.
Traditionally yes, though you'll get different opinions about it these days.

And yeah Alizée isn't Jewish, but has shown interest in Kabbalah before, and those are popular tats these days, so...

That doesn't make it mutually exclusive with being someone's name though too, does it?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Of course, Alizée isn't Jewish, she's nominally Catholic and practices . . . something we don't know about in detail, and obviously has no moral qualms about getting tatoos or, in the past, piercings.

Edit: I'm REAL sure that one of the two letters we can see clearly is a Heh. The other one could be either a Vav or a Nun. I can't tell what the first one is (the one on the right). I thought originally a Shem or Aleph, but now I think the shadow from her watch might be distorting it. If it's a Yod instead, which it could be if that dark patch that I thought was part of the letter is instead the watch shadow, and if there are no other letters, that's where I'd get Johan.

Can't be sure of this of course. Next time I see her I'll ask for a closer look.
Yea to be buried in a Jewish cemtery you can't have tattoos. Multalation of the body is a sin. Sorry guys like Ben I haven't done Hebrew for a whle.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(mine's "חַיִים", nowhere close to "Ben").
Idea.

If Hebrew names aren't like English/French names, could the tat translate to the Hebrew name of Jérémy (rather than "JRMY")... or if they have done so, be the Hebrew name of Annily?

Are we even sure it's a name? What if it's like one of those Chinese tattoos and her tat means "Hope" or some junk?

-------

P.S. My Korean name is "Mahn Shig"... I don't remember the written Hangul version.

Mahn Shig = Jalen ?